is pils malt necessary for doppelbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
Can I sub US 2row? My thought is I probably couldn't tell a difference if it were pils or pale malt in a doppelbock.

I don't have my anticipated recipe in front of me, but I do recall its mostly Munich, with a few lbs pils.

I know, tradition and authenticity and all that jazz. But does pils malt really bring much to the party that 2row wouldn't?

I have sacks of Munich and pale malt, hence the curiosity.

Thanks!

I can tell the difference from pilsner and pale 2-row malt when I'm mashing, so I'm sure the finished product would be different. I've never made a lager with pale 2-row so I'm not sure how it would turn out, especially if it's a huge part of the recipe. A 10lb bag of Pilsner is like 15 bucks, so I would just just buy that.

Here's a doppelbock recipe from Clone Brews that I've made and I really like it.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Celebrator Doppelbock

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Doppelbock
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.0 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 7.75%
IBU (tinseth): 25.89
SRM (morey): 20.68

FERMENTABLES:
10.5 lb - German - Pilsner (65.4%)
4 lb - German - Munich Dark (24.9%)
12 oz - German - Dark Munich (4.7%)
8 oz - United Kingdom - Crystal 70L (3.1%)
5 oz - United Kingdom - Chocolate (1.9%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Northern Brewer for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7.8)
0.5 oz - Domestic Hallertau for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 3.75)
0.25 oz - Domestic Hallertau for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 3.9)

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 153 F, Time: 90 min
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
8 oz - Maltodextrine, Time: 60 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1 tsp - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Munich Lager 2308
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temperature: 48 F - 56 F

NOTES:
Original recipe calls for 1.082 OG, 44-46 SRM 24 IBU.

Thanks. Is that recipe close to Celebrator? I love that beer! Also, Munich dark and dark Munich are the same, no? I see 2 different lines for that.

Maybe I'll have to get some pils....

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Yes, it's a Celebrator clone. The munich dark I used was 15.5 lovibund so it depends on what's on your bag. The SRM of the original is higher than what I ended up with so you might want to get something with a higher lovibund.

I kick off the fermentation on the higher end, about 54 degrees to try and replicate the banana tones in the real thing. Last time I made it I put the full 1oz of the NB hops in at 60 and put the remaining .25oz hallertau in at flameout. I also just used 10lbs of German pilsner malt because I didnt feel like buying another 1lb bag.

Back