Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawa

Reaction score
Hello Master Brewers!

I'm planning on brewing an oatmeal stout tomorrow evening. I got the recipe form somewhere I don't remember :eek: and I need your help to determine if it is actually a good recipe or to see if i should adjust it. How about the hops? It only calls for 2 oz of bittering, no flavor or aroma hops, is this right?

Here it is

Type: Extract
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 56.44 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.11 %
1.13 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.63 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.41 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.70 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.70 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.66 %
Bitterness: 25.1 IBU
Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 32.0 SRM

The recipe tells me to heat 3 gallons of water to 155 F, put the grains in a nylon bag and add the grainbag to the heated water; mantain the temp between 150 and 158 for an hour to convert the starch (is this mashing?) and finally rinse the grains with 1 qt of heated water. After all this, procced to add the extract, hops, etc, and boil for 60 min

TIA!
Mawa

Yup, that is a mini mash. By adding the 2-row you are providing the enzymes to convert the starches in itself and the oats. Seems like a lot of oats, I just did one with 1lb but that probably be fine.

Get English pale extract if you can, that will make a big difference. If you can't you might add some victory malt or special roast to give it some toasty, biscuity notes.

How much are you looking at boiling? Has that been taken into account in the hops? The larger the boil the more IBUs you will extract. If I were you, I would target about 35IBUs. Fuggles is a good choice so would Kent Goldings. One 60min addition will be good...some flavor will come through.

At the current IBU level and a pound or crystal, I think it might be too sweet. If you are doing a full boil then you will extract more IBUs, play around with that. If you don't think you are going to be getting more bitterness out you might cut the crystal back some.

I think that looks like a good recipe.

I am doing a slightly different oatmeal stout this weekend also. I have done all grain before but this is my first with oats. Do I have to prep it at all, or should a 90 minute mash schedule with the other grains do the job?

As long as they are flaked oats they can go straight into the mash. You might not even need to do a 90 minute mash, but that is up to you.

Back