Fermenting in cold house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin476

Reaction score
My house is about 48-50 during the day, then when we are home its 60-64. I use one of the closets upstairs and just have a small space heater that has a thermostat. The heater is the kind with a fan and im worried about safety so I started looking into the radiant oil type heater but I am hearing alot of stories of fires. What do you guys use?

If you sealed the closet well I would think it would hold temp until you get home. You could also wrap the fermenter in a sleeping bag or blanket. You can buy wrap around fermenter heaters pretty reasonably priced. Check morebeer.com I know I saw some things in their catalog.

If you sealed the closet well I would think it would hold temp until you get home. You could also wrap the fermenter in a sleeping bag or blanket. You can buy wrap around fermenter heaters pretty reasonably priced. Check morebeer.com I know I saw some things in their catalog.

+1 to that...

If I stuff a blanket in all the edges it stll runs a good amout of the day, I have to keep the room at 70 ish and the room outside is 50. so it has to run quite a bit. I usually have 4-8 batches going at once so i really dont want to but that many heaters.

I put my fermenter in a cooler, then add a water bath. In the water, I place a very small (I think 8 watt? but I"m not sure) aquarium heater. It takes some adjusting at first, but it works great to keep the beer at 64 degrees in a 55 degree room without any worries.

That might be worth trying but I would need a really big cooler or alot of them. It sound more safe than what I have going I guess. I am also thinking about building a foam box and leaving it in the garage and using light bulbs inside for the heat. At least I could still do several batches at once..

Back