Grain bill...does this look okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I have made some of my own recipes which were extract with specialty grain. Since I have moved to all grain I have some extra grains lying around.

Here's what I am thinking for a Citra APA or IPA

10 Lbs - 2 Row
1 lb - Caramel/Crystal 60
.5 lb - Special B
.5 lb - Biscuit

I know it is different to see biscuit and special B in Pales but I don't see myself making any beers that would use them here in the near future. I do have 1 lb of Biscuit (a friend gave it to me), would it be bad to have 1 lb of biscuit.

The hops for the recipe will rely totally on Citra with a first Wort hop.

I'd say go for it if you have the stuff laying around. Who knows, it might turn it really good. 1 pound of crystal is a bit sweet for my tastes, I might cut that down to half a pound.

I would honestly cut the crystal 60 down to a half pound and special b to .25 for an IPA. As for an APA maybe just cut the crystal 60 down a bit to .5 pound. Really depends on the hop schedule but overall seems like it should be tasty, sweeter but tasty.

I'd say go for it if you have the stuff laying around. Who knows, it might turn it really good. 1 pound of crystal is a bit sweet for my tastes, I might cut that down to half a pound.

That was my first thought as well. I may cut out the Special B and just use 1 lb of the biscuit and may only .50-.75 of Caramel. I was thinking that my hop additions would balance out the sweetness.

I think my hop additions will be
.75 oz Citra FWH
1 oz Citra @ 15
1 oz Citra @ 10
1 oz Citra @ 5
.25 oz Citra @ 1

I may use some Galena for the FWH instead of the Citra.

A pound and half of total crystal is way too much for an APA/IPA IMO. I don't think I would care for the special B in this at all, but would at least leave out the 60 if you're going to use it. I don't mind the biscuit - I sometimes use 1/2 lb of victory or biscuit in pales or IPA's.

Back