New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichN

Reaction score
I am going to keg a Beligan Strong Ale after 4mos in 2nd. I want to kegging it and then let it sit for 3-6 more mos. before I drink it.

Couple questions:
1. Is that ok?
2. Do I add any Co2 after racking?
3. Do I carbonate it warm and set aside?
4. If so won't I have to recarbonate when I refiridgerate?

When I bottled I would just set a case aside.

:mug:
Thanks,
Rich

I am going to keg a Beligan Strong Ale after 4mos in 2nd. I want to kegging it and then let it sit for 3-6 more mos. before I drink it.

Couple questions:
1. Is that ok?
2. Do I add any Co2 after racking?
3. Do I carbonate it warm and set aside?
4. If so won't I have to recarbonate when I refiridgerate?

When I bottled I would just set a case aside.

:mug:
Thanks,
Rich

Yes it's ok. I would give it a few shots of co2, and purge it a couple of times (to get the oxygen out of the keg, and to keep it pressurized for storage). I would not carbonate it yet, and then carbonate it once you refrigerate it and are ready to drink. Do you plan no carbing it with co2 or by adding sugar?

Scotched,

Thanks for quick rsponse.
Carbonate with Co2

Yea, since you're carbonating using an external co2 source - I wouldn't carbonate it until it's in refrigeration. Let it age in a sealed keg, and the last couple weeks before you're ready to drink get it cold and hookup the co2 at the same time.

Of course this is not the only way to do it, but when you carb it warm and then move it to cold, or vise versa, you'll change internal pressure. Doing it the way I state above, will save you co2.

Scotched,

Thanks. Once you chill and carb, how long will the beer stay good? When I kegged in the past it was for a party and the beer was drank pretty quick.

Cheers & Happy New Year,
Rich

That really depends on the beer. People have had beers good for over a year. You might want to search the topic. Most of kegs never last more than 3 months, because they get drank fast.

+1 on putting some c02 into it and purging. i usually crank it up to 20 psi, and purge it 3 times to make sure all the oxygen is out, then store for as long as you want after filling the headspace one last time with 20 psi.

Quite a few of us set for 30+ psi to set the seals. I set at 32psi turn off gas vent to 12psi then open gas valve again and leave it. Beer will keep almost indefinitely on co2.

Back