Will rubberbands give my beer an off flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
I have a huge siphoning hose the kind that would be used to siphon fuel. I've been using it on my brews and I get about 5gallons siphoned in a good 50seconds. Anyways I'm about to rack my raspberry wheat, the huge siphoning hose is too big to fitt any sorta tip or racking cane on it. I do have hop bags and cheese cloth I can use to try and keep fruit chunks out of it. I was going to use rubberbands to keep the makeshift filter around the tip of the siphon. Has anyone had good or bad expiriences with rubberbands and their fermented wort?

Not sure about the rubber bands but I have a couple of questions.

Is that hose made of a food safe material?

Does transferring that fast cause a lot of splashing?

No big deal. Just put it on there and let 'er rip.

I've only had bad experiences with bag over the end though, maybe just try to avoid whatever crap you have floating in your beer.

eh forgot to check, but i've seen people use those hose before. Its clear plastic with a copper tip and a marble that causes the siphon. ...give me a sec just double checked on amazon. Here is exactly what type of hose i'm using
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZOT39A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I will obiviously sanatize my rubber bands It should be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was just horrible from now on all my fruits will be in a grain bag. My huge siphon hose got clogged and i shook it up and down trying to get suction i'm sure its oxydized. I tried to create suction by sucking on the siphon hose no good alcohol so had to use 151 and i chew tabacco so it just burned my lips up. Had to get the second 1/2 inch hose and ended up getting a few fruit chunks into my bottling bucket...this sucks

Back