Hop steeping and whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
I've read that you want to add the tablet with 5 mins left in boil, and not boil it for too long or it will be rendered useless. So that being said, if I were to add it with 5 mins left in the boil and then do a 30 min hop steep, would this be the same as boiling it too long or is letting it steep before cooling different? Should I add it towards the end of the steep? Anybody know, thanks.

Midwest supplies:
Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Yes, 5 minutes is correct. According to the manufacturer, if Whirlfloc is in the boil for any longer than 10 minutes, the active ingredients become denatured and therefore will not do their job.

Bump to the top. Anybody have any input on this? I am doing my first all-grain this weekend and was planning on using Whirl-floc for the first time (haven't used it in my previous extract batches). However, in many of my recent extract batches, I have employed the hop-steeping technique, which I plan to use for this all-grain. So, do you think I should add the whirlfloc near the end of the steep instead of at 5 mins left in the boil?

I'm holding a bottle of whirlfloc in my hand produced by LD Carlson. On their factory label it states 'add 1 tablet per 5-10 gallons within the last 15 min of boil'.

Rick

Bump to the top. Anybody have any input on this? I am doing my first all-grain this weekend and was planning on using Whirl-floc for the first time (haven't used it in my previous extract batches). However, in many of my recent extract batches, I have employed the hop-steeping technique, which I plan to use for this all-grain. So, do you think I should add the whirlfloc near the end of the steep instead of at 5 mins left in the boil?

Ever since switching to all grain, a half tablet didn't seem to be enough. Not sure why. I tried 1 tablet at 10 mins and had a much better cold break. I also did a 20 minute hop stand and didn't seem to effect it at all.

I'm holding a bottle of whirlfloc in my hand produced by LD Carlson. On their factory label it states 'add 1 tablet per 5-10 gallons within the last 15 min of boil'.

Rick

Mine says that too, but I've heard and read plenty stating that this is wrong. Although, this last brew I used a whole tablet at 10 and had a much better cold break. When doing extract, I would add 1/2 at 5 mins and had excellent cold break. All grain has been yeilding different results though.

I assume this used to help clear up the beer? I used it today in two extract batches I did.

Since the hot steep isn't "boiling" I would imagine that the extra time wouldn't apply.

I used it for the first time today and I swear my 2 batches I did today both seem to be cloudier then the other ones were without it. Should it help more as the fermentation progresses?

Same here. I have read in several threads to do it at 5 mins left in the boil. I think I will try it near the end of the boil and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

Are you planning on use half or a whole? Like I mentioned, when switching to all grain, I've has issues using half a tablet. With half at 5 mins, I wasn't getting much cold break and I have been experiencing chill haze will cooling down bottles. I tried a whole tablet at 10 to see if that help with the chill haze. The cold break seemed to be much better with a whole tablet at 10. Try half at 5 and see how it works for you.

Are you planning on use half or a whole? Like I mentioned, when switching to all grain, I've has issues using half a tablet. With half at 5 mins, I wasn't getting much cold break and I have been experiencing chill haze will cooling down bottles. I tried a whole tablet at 10 to see if that help with the chill haze. The cold break seemed to be much better with a whole tablet at 10. Try half at 5 and see how it works for you.

This thread got me to wondering, so on the batch of bitter I brewed this afternoon, I waited until 10 min left in the boil to add the tablet. On my next batch I'll try the same but only use half a tablet. It'll be interesting to see if it works better/worse/same.

Rick:mug:

I've read that you want to add the tablet with 5 mins left in boil, and not boil it for too long or it will be rendered useless. So that being said, if I were to add it with 5 mins left in the boil and then do a 30 min hop steep, would this be the same as boiling it too long or is letting it steep before cooling different? Should I add it towards the end of the steep? Anybody know, thanks.

Midwest supplies:
Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Yes, 5 minutes is correct. According to the manufacturer, if Whirlfloc is in the boil for any longer than 10 minutes, the active ingredients become denatured and therefore will not do their job.

I think doing a hop steep for 30 minutes after a boil would imply that you are not cooling this rapidly after boil? If so then that certainly won't help with clarity. As for the whirlfloc I have no idea, but may be useless based on the fact that you didn't cool that wort quickly which as far as I know leads to haze regardless? Just a thought tho....

I think doing a hop steep for 30 minutes after a boil would imply that you are not cooling this rapidly after boil? If so then that certainly won't help with clarity. As for the whirlfloc I have no idea, but may be useless based on the fact that you didn't cool that wort quickly which as far as I know leads to haze regardless? Just a thought tho....

I still cool rapidly - the rapid cool just comes after the steep, not right after the boil.

Surly - I will try a full tablet at 5 mins and report back.

Thanks again.

Well, I tried the full whirlfloc at 5 mins, followed by the 30 min hop steep. It didn't seem like the whirlfloc really did anything - actually seemed to make the coagulation of stuff worse. I did my normal stirring of the cool wort to try and whirlpool the sediment into a cone, but there wasn't much left in the center after pulling the brew out like there normally is.

The beer turned out pretty clear nonetheless after cold crashing and cold time in the kegerator!

Well, I tried the full whirlfloc at 5 mins, followed by the 30 min hop steep. It didn't seem like the whirlfloc really did anything - actually seemed to make the coagulation of stuff worse. I did my normal stirring of the cool wort to try and whirlpool the sediment into a cone, but there wasn't much left in the center after pulling the brew out like there normally is.

The beer turned out pretty clear nonetheless after cold crashing and cold time in the kegerator!

Next time. try it at 10 mins with a whole tablet. Ever since switching to all grain, 10 minutes with a whole tab has worked much better. I've been getting much more coagulation of proteins with this method.

Ok, another update. My latest AG BIAB brew, I decided to not use the whirlfloc at all just to see what would happen. Granted, it was a massively different grain bill than my first whirlfloc experiment, but:

The whirlfloc beer, which I initially didn't think was affected much by the whirlfloc, turned out amazingly clear after kegging for a while.

The non-whirlfloc beer hasn't cleared up at all, even after a couple of weeks in the keg and cold crashing for four days prior to kegging.

Again, it could be because of the very different brews. The whirlfloc beer was an IPA, and the non-whirlfloc was an Irish Red. But, I will continue trying the whirlfloc in the future.

Back