Using spent yeast in dog treats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Yesterday I was at a town fair, and I saw a street vendor selling dog treats made with brewers yeast. I'm assuming they're referring to spent yeast... maybe taking a spoonful out of the trub at the end? Has anyone else heard of doing this? I'm wondering if maybe it was plain yeast, since aren't hops bad for dogs? Any ideas at all would be appreciated.

I hope it's plain yeast. Malignant hyperthermia is quite rare, but it's bad news when it happens. I would never use trub that is mixed with hops (in other words, I'd never use any trub I'm likely to make.)

I hope it's plain yeast. Malignant hyperthermia is quite rare, but it's bad news when it happens. I would never use trub that is mixed with hops (in other words, I'd never use any trub I'm likely to make.)

Yep ...... hops are poisonous to many dogs.

Are you sure it is not spent grains?

Spent grains make great dog treats. Use. the search function and find the recipe.

My dogs love them.

My dog loves the spent grain cookies made with peanut butter, eggs, and flour added to the grain. ET

Yep ...... hops are poisonous to many dogs.

Not to be a jerk (and it's covered elsewhere), but hops aren't poisonous to many dogs. They are poisonous to a subset of dogs in a handful of breeds (particularly greyhounds). Sure it's serious when it happens, but it's pretty damn rare in the grand scheme of things.

Not to be a jerk (and it's covered elsewhere), but hops aren't poisonous to many dogs. They are poisonous to a subset of dogs in a handful of breeds (particularly greyhounds). Sure it's serious when it happens, but it's pretty damn rare in the grand scheme of things.

Well, I guess you better hope your dog isn't affected.

Since so many dogs are not pure-bred, many many pets could be affected.

Why risk it?

Two SERIOUS warnings about spent grain dog cookies:

1) Dogs like them much more than commerical dog treats. Mine will damn near kill for them.

2) Spent grain dog cookies = SERIOUS dog farts. Yesterday I brewed and drank homebrew while watching football, and the dogs did their part by eating 4-5 spent grain dog cookies each. By the 8:30 game, there was a symphony of farts throughout the house, and I was put on notice that I am no longer the king fart.

Well, I guess you better hope your dog isn't affected.

Since so many dogs are not pure-bred, many many pets could be affected.

Why risk it?

I'm not saying feed your dogs hops... I'm saying that people blow it way out of proportion when it comes up. Some people seem to believe if a dog ingests a hop pellet it's going do die, which is a gross over exaggeration of the situation.

I'd liken it to a parent completely avoiding peanut products because a small fraction of children are allergic and may suffer anaphylaxis and die.

It's all specific to the breed and specific dog. My dog ate half a tin of cocoa last month. Other than hypertension/high energy for several hours, he was fine. Take another dog and feed him the same, and there is a chance he'll keel over dead.

Same deal with hops.

My .02 cents, don't add trub just like you wouldn't add cocoa to the recipe. Yea the risk may be minuscule but if you kill Fido or have to spend $1000 @ the vet -- you'll look and feel like an idiot.

As for the vendor in the OP -- yeast was probably added as a supplement. It doesn't necessarily mean he used the trub.

Back