size/model for mini fridge to fit 3 gallon kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural320

Reaction score
while I LOVE the keezer idea, I am looking for a bit of a smaller option due to the space constraints around my bar. I figure with the savings of using a mini fridge vs freezer + temp control + collar I could buy 2 little 3 gallon kegs and not be TOO far away in price (calculated around $400 for keezer + 2 refurb 5 gallon kegs)
I already have a CO2 tank so:

2 x perlick + shank + tail + shipping $73
2-way gas distributor w/check valves + shipping $31
2 x 3 gal ball lock keg + ship = $191
1 mini fridge ~ $150
total $445

so my question, does anyone know of a mini fridge that has a totally flat back (no compressor hump) or could accommodate all this stuff? I am figuring the combined width of the 2 kegs to be between 17-18", and the height with disconnects attached to be around 18" as well. thanks!

Disclaimer: I don't know the dimensions of the 3 gal ball lock kegs

I think you should be able to fit them in a frigidaire 445GB. They do have compressor humps, but that model will fit (2) ball lock kegs + 5 gal CO2 bottle. They come in black + 'stainless steel' and are available at lowes (or craigslist).

This thread has more info:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fr...fridge-kegerator-conversion-89013/index7.html

If you can fit a slightly taller mini fridge under your bar, I'd go with 5 gallon ball locks. You can still get them for $40 used, and theres no reason to buy new in my book. For the $191 you plan on for two 3 gallon cornies, you could buy four 5 gallon cornies. That will give you an extra pair to keep beer aging in while you are pulling pints off the other 2.

Also it's 20 gallons of beer storage vs 6. And easier to keep the keg sized to your batches if you do 5 gallons at a time.

that is a good point, and I have been struggling with SWMBO about that. the practicality of sticking with 5 gallons just isn't sinking in with her! I might just show her some of the "art" that people have done with keezers...

although a keezer would be located on the opposite end of the room, away from the bar. I really can't win in my situation! overpay for the form factor vs. keezer on opposite side of the room!

Naw, just put your bar on stilts. Or dig out the floor. J/K

I haven't convinced my SWMBO that we are getting a bar yet. But I figured if we had a working kegerator I'm already 50% there (our free fridge fits 1 ball lock only). Keezer would be my ideal setup too as I want 3-4 taps someday, but I too can't figure out how to incorporate that into a bar top.

Maybe Maytag or Frigidaire is watching and they design a low profile fridge specifically for idiots like me who want to add a fridge under a bar that has a front opening door and space for 4 ball lock corny kegs. Not sure of the market potential, but...

haha I hear that! the bar in my house was there when we bought it...and it it pretty nice and has a granite top too, however, whoever put where they did was a dum dum. I COULD build (well someone could build it for me!) an awesome bar in a perfect spot and then I would still have room for a pool table; if that dang bar wasn't where it was

but I am getting really close to saying screw it and building the keezer the more I keep re-reading the "show us your kegerator" thread...yea, I went through all 300 pages! I want to do the "cheapest new 2 keg keezer" model, but the best deal I am getting on ball locks are actually converted pins...so I am not sure if they will fit (and I truly only want 2 taps, so the bigger 7cu ft models are kind of a waste)

Back