Beer in regulator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
So I force carbonate my beer with the keg and have been doing so for awhile now. I recently started to connect the gas line from the tank to the liquid out port of the keg when carbonating and have been getting way better carbonation. My question is how do I keep the beer from running up the line and into my regulator?

As long as the pressure in your line is higher than the pressure in the keg, you shouldn't get any beer in your gas line. I have always attached my gas to the gas in and turned the keg upside down to carbonate but I may have to try your way. Even upside down, I've never had any back flow.

A check valve in the gas line should prevent backflow. Many regulators and manifolds have them built in.

There isn't any advantage to using the "out" post, as the bubbles are still too big to absorb anyway, and it will take the same amount of time to carb as using the "in" post and not risk blowing your regulator.

If you want to carb faster than one day, you could try a carb stone. Those will sit in the bottom of the keg, and break up the bubbles into a smaller particle that can carb faster.

Blowing from the bottom through the "out" post doesn't have any scientific reason that it would work, and it won't.

Yooper said:
There isn't any advantage to using the "out" post, as the bubbles are still too big to absorb anyway, and it will take the same amount of time to carb as using the "in" post and not risk blowing your regulator.

If you want to carb faster than one day, you could try a carb stone. Those will sit in the bottom of the keg, and break up the bubbles into a smaller particle that can carb faster.

Blowing from the bottom through the "out" post doesn't have any scientific reason that it would work, and it won't.

Yep. The carb stone breaks the CO2 into super tiny bubbles which vastly increases both the surface area and time it's in contact with the beer. Without the carb stone, pushing the gas into the bottom of the keg has no appreciable effects.

That is a dangerous way to carbonate. Make sure you have check valves.

The biggest problem to equipment doing the "shake and roll" is the pressure always reaches a equilibrium. If you do the shake and roll and bring the keg up to 30PSI pressure and then set the regulator to 15PSI when done the co2 that is not absorbed has to go somewhere. It then proceeds up the gas line. You can actually back fill a tank with beer if you are low on CO2 when do this method. If you need more beer faster brew more! The neighbors will love and lend you power tools!

Back