First Batch in the Mr. Beer + mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webfoot

Reaction score
OK so this is my first batch of beer ever.

I got a Mr. beer from a friend and it has been sitting in the closet for some time due to lack of time.
I was starting my first batch's of wine and cider and figured I would give the Mr. beer a go as well.
To make a long story short I got half way into the project be for finding out I did not have any sugar in the house.(ya I know I should have gathered the ingredients be for starting)
i did however have some dark wild flower honey a friend had given me(the book that comes with this this says I can use that instead of sugar) so I substituted.
I did a little pocking around on the INTERNET and it seams that people are getting good results leaving the brew i the primary (little Beer keg looking feller) for two weeks,Bottling and letting it set in the cupboard for two weeks, and the moving the bottles to the fridge for two weeks, so that is what I am going to do.

I bottled it yesterday and had a taste, very good so far with allot of the flavors from The honey carrying over in to the beer.
It will be nice to see how this goes in the long run.

Comments are welcome,
TIA, Webby

Way to go on your introduction to brewing and good thinking with the honey!

I think one of the hardest things to learn about brewing is patience. It is so hard to see bottles of beer sitting around and not being consumed!

Your patience will be rewarded so keep on brewing and good luck!

Not good but not bad.

Has a solid dark honey flavering but low abv.

will check agin next week and see how it is.

Webby

Which, Mr. Beer, beer style/Hopped Malt Extract was it that you used? Did you only use one 1.2lb can of HME or more? Can't be absolutely sure but it sounds like maybe you didn't have a pack of booster either.

Probably would be best to leave this present brew to age for a decent while, a good couple of months, and have a look on the Mr. Beer web site to check out what's available and appealing to your tastes. There are 4 levels of ingredient kit (Refills) you can choose from for beer. Standard, deluxe, premium and seasonals.

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/8

Many people reckon the standards lack any real flavour and depth being one can HME and a pack of booster, deluxe being fuller bodied, flavourful and maltier due to using one can each of the HME and Unhopped Malt Extracts as an additional fermentable. Premiums are better yet using two cans of HME and the seasonals are the equivalent malt addition as three cans HME/UME (3.6lbs). You can also buy everything available as individual ingredients, if you so wish. HMEs, UMEs, hops

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/87

Don't know if you like the style but if you do like an IPA I'd highly recommend the American Devil IPA kit. This was my 2nd attempt at homebrewing and it came out really, surprisingly, well. Made a couple of additions to boost ABV and flavour a bit.

Two cans American Devil IPA HME. 500grs (1.1lb) coopers light Liquid Malt Extract, 1/2 pack of Mr. Beer booster. 1 pack safale S-04 yeast (and also chucked in the 2 little packets of Mr. Beer dry ale yeast, too) Fermented in the keg for 3 weeks, bottle conditioned for over a month now and it's unbelievably good. Really nice balance between malty, sweet and round followed by a nice hoppy afterglow with a really pleasant aroma:rockin:

If you have a lhbs nearby you will probably find that larger cans of HMEs, UMEs and various other ingredients will work out cheaper than the MR. B stuff.

Best of luck with your brewing and welcome to the addiction.:tank::mug:

Forgot to mention, ABV isn't going to radically increase in the bottled batch you posted about above. Flavours will mellow somewhat, the longer you give it.

Back