pumpkin ale dehydrates me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biohaz7331

Reaction score
Just a quick question about my pumpkin ale because I am unsure if it was something I did or if this is normal. With all of my beers I have made so far, nut brown ale and american amber, I could drink 3-5 beers and be perfectly fine the next morning. With my smashing pumpkin ale if I drink 2-3 I get really thirsty while I am drinking the beer. Also if I don't drink any water before bed I wake up extremely thirsty. Anyone else experience this problem? The beer tastes great, I love it, and I don't detect any off flavors.

Anyone have any ideas? I was talking with someone and they believed that it could be from all of the spices. The only thing I did was add an additional teaspoon on pumpkin pie spice to the northern brewer smashing pumpkin ale kit.

Pumpkin ales tend to be bigger beers than the other ones you brewed, higher gravity. Higher gravity beers have more of an impact on us, than lower grav beers. So it's like you've drank more beer.

Yeah I could tell it was bigger by the fact that drinking one actually felt like two. I just found it surprising that it had more dehydrating affect than drinking a large amount of regular beer but I guess that's just how it is. Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts

Back