Ingredients Dilemma......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheeseburger

Reaction score
Hi

Still fairly new to this homebrew game...... I'm going to brew my 3rd batch this weekend. I currently have:

6kg of light DME
100g of Amarillo
100g Centennial
100g of Chinook.
500g Crystal Malt (i don't plan to use this as I want to keep the brew pale)
11.5g us-05 yeast
11.g Gervin english ale yeast

I plan to brew 2 batches using 3kg of DME on each with a OG of about 1.046. I need guidance on 2 things, Firstly, Whilst I know its all down to personal taste but if I am brewing with a OG of 1.046 what amount of IBU's makes a nice beer??? (i like my beers hoppy but not toooo bitter)

Secondly, I originally planned to make 2 batches that are single hopped (using a full 100g vacuum pack of hops for each so that between brews the unused hops remain vacuum packed) Should I go for the single hop approach or try mixing the hops?

Any advise on how i should go about the 2 brews is appreciated......

Maybe 28g of chinook for bittering in each. Then use diferent flavor hop in each one to change things up a bit.

For an O.G. 1.046 APA, I wouldn't bitter with a full 28 grams of Chinook. Maybe bitter with 14 grams for 60 minutes. Then maybe 14 gram additions of Centennial at 30, and 15. Another 14 grams at flameout? Should give you a good amount of hop flavor and aroma without too much bitterness.

Back