Natural gas, 10" Banjo for 5 gallon brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a new setup, for 6 gallon boils, in a 14" diameter 9 gallon kettle.

I will convert this to natural gas.

I was looking at two burners from Bayou Classic. I like the pre-made stands.

I am not looking at costs, or future upgrades, I am looking at what will do this job in the most efficient manner. I already have a wok burner for 10 gallon brews.

At low flame with natural gas, which burner will burn the cleanest, i.e. no soot?
Which burner would work best at low heat, so that I can easily tune in the boil?
Will the banjo be to much heat, scorch the wort?
Will the banjo flame just go out the side of the kettle, and be wasted?

Bayou cookers.jpg

I have the banjo on the left. I use propane. It rocks. It takes 6.5 gal of wort from mash temps to boiling in about 10 minutes. It's easy to dial in the boil you want too. I haven't had any scorching issues with my wort. I've only done a few batches on it, but don't see scorching being an issue any more than any other burner would have.

I don't know about using natural gas, but I have the square burner and it works great. I'd like to know how to convert this one to natural gas, I just haven't found much information on this particular burner. How do you plan on doing this one?

The 55k burner will heat 14 gallons of water from 70° to a boil in 1.5 hours with a properly sized orifice. Since you're doing 5 gallon batches it should be more than plenty.

I have the banjo on the left. I use propane. It rocks. It takes 6.5 gal of wort from mash temps to boiling in about 10 minutes. It's easy to dial in the boil you want too. I haven't had any scorching issues with my wort. I've only done a few batches on it, but don't see scorching being an issue any more than any other burner would have.

Thanks for the info on the scorching issue.

Now the only concern that I have is the Natural gas issue.

Natural gas runs at about .5 PSI, compared to propane which is at 30 psi, you make up the difference in energy with volume of gas. However when the pressure on natural gas gets to low, you get soot.

So if you are trying to get a nice easy rolling boil, and to much heat is coming out, you turn it down some more, then the pressure drops to low, it's fine balance.

Latest posts

Back