Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzech79

Reaction score
Im thinking about brewing a new summer ale. Recipe that im thinking of includes 6lbs of wheat extract, 1 oz Cascade hops begining of 60 minute boil, Zest of 2 limes final 10 minutes, 1oz Hallertau hops final 3 minutes. Primary for 1 week, Rack to secondary for 1 week. At bottling, juice 2 limes and add to priming sugar during sugar boil. Add sugar and beer to bottling bucket and bottle. Condition for 2 weeks and drink up. Sound good? Has anyone made something similar?

I'd skip the secondary. 1 week primary usually isn't enough. 2 week primary for a wheat might be ok. Be careful how much lime you use,you don't want to overpower the delicate flavors.

what you have there looks good to me :mug:

couple things to consider...

what kind of yeast are you going to use?

what temperature do you think you will be fermenting at?

most wheats are pretty light on the hop bitter and aroma so you may want to adjust the Hallertau addition to go closer to a specific style if that is what you are going for.

you will get some additional sugar out of the limes for priming so I would stick to the standard 4 ounces of priming sugar instead of upping to 4.5 to 5 oz. which is common with wheats.

EDIT: I would also recommend skipping secondary, and leaving in primary for 2 weeks

Back