Mild ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tboneth

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been experimenting with some mild ale recipes lately, since I love the style. Right now I'm working with extract batches to save time (and clean-up). This will be the next prototype--any comments or critiques about it?

Extract (Marris Otter extract not available at the moment):

3.25# Light DME

For steeping:

8 oz British Crystal 70-80L
8 oz Brown malt
8 oz Marris Otter
2 oz Pale Chocolate Malt

Hops

0.5 oz E. Kent Goldings (60 min)

Yeast

WLP002 (English Ale)

Estimated numbers:

IBU: 11.3
SRM: 13°
OG: 1.038
FG: 1.012
ABV: 3.5% (3% ABW)

I'm sick of kits and other recipes, so I thought I'd craft my own. :) Thanks for your comments and input.

I <3 Mild. It's one of my favorite styles. Enough flavor to be satisfying, low enough alcohol that you can have 4-5 Imperial pints without having to drag yourself home by your lips.

Looks pretty good to me. In fact, I have but one concern. Steeping the Maris Otter isn't going to do anything. You're also not going to get the full effect of the brown malt without mashing. Me, I'd cut the Maris Otter and roll with that. You'll probably have to increase the DME slightly.

I like to keep my Milds simple, because commercially they are. Pale malt, one or two flavor/color grist ingredients, either a mash adjunct or kettle sugar. Hops to just on the malt side of balance.

If you're really interested in the style, check out the book in the Style Series. Though dated it's worth a read. Just ignore the recipes, because some of them are stupid. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Back