FG with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthaug

Reaction score
I've been looking for this info, and haven't been able to find it. Is there a way to predict FG's with brett? I know they should be lower than with sacch as brett consumes more sugars, but I'm curious exactly how much lower it normally gets.

thanx

Bryan

Do you mean as the primary or secondary strain? Primary look for around 1.008. Secondary 1.002 or lower. But those are just general figures, it will vary by strain.

To echo the post above, as a primary strain Brett's performance is governed by many of the same factors as Sac. OG, ABV, and Brett strain are important.

Its a secondary strain. I'm replicating papazians gnarly roots recipe, which is a barleywine that you ferment first with an ale yeast, then secondary for 6-8 months with Brett. OG was 1.100, "FG" at transfer to secondary was 1.023.

Gnarly Roots

Bryan

brett's alcohol tolerance, according to Wyeast, is "approximately 12% ABV". plugging that into a calculator, along with you OG, gives us 1.011. however, 12% is an estimate. your brett could go higher or lower.

best thing is to give the beer a lot of time to finish out and since it's a barley wine you're going to need to age it anyways :mug:

if you're asking because you want to know when it's safe to bottle... there is no way of knowing for sure. give it 6 months, take a reading, then take another a month later. no change = you can bottle.

I wasn't going to bottle for at least 8 months... I've done wild sours in the past and was basing my plan for this beer (using commercial bretts, mind you) based on my past experience.

Thanx

Bryan

My experience with Brett tells me that beer probably will not go below 1.010. Maybe it will, maybe not; just my opinion.

Back