Brewing with propane deep frier.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymonkey

Reaction score
Hello all. I purchased a large deep fryer a while back which I've never used and am contemplating using it rather than my stove for brewing. I think the wider flame will give me better results due to heat spreading. It seems brewing on the stove always tends to burn-in a little on the pot where the burner contacts due to it being much smaller than my brewpot. I can only assume this is having an effect on my finished product. So my question is wether or not anyone uses one of these for brewing and if so how difficult is it to maintain steady temperatures?

I got a turkey fryer for christmas and I'll never go back to the stove top. Liquid comes to a boil quicker and it is more vigerous than the stove.

Almost every all-grain brewer uses one, or at least propane burners, though there are some heavy-duty electric AG'ers out there. I certainly have no desire to ever brew indoors again (at least not in NC).

I've never brewed indoors - always with propane and either a 5 gallon SS pot or a 7.5 aluminum. With my rate of boilovers my wife would kill me. My patio is nicely stained!!

david_42 said:
Lots of us use them and many of us maintain a good boil without frequent boilovers;)

I, unfortunately ;), am not one of those. I think it is a direct corrolation to the amount of homebrew I consume while homebrewing! That and I brew with somebody who's also brewing - and my daughter is usually "watching" so attention tends to stray.

- He started homebrewing indoors
- He ruined the stove
- She bought a glasstop range and permenently banned indoor brewing
- He bought a propane cooker and took matters outside
- And they both lived happily ever after

Seriously, if you've always brewed on a range and never over a propane cooker, you have no idea what a "Full Wort Rolling Boil" actually looks like.

5 gallons of wort rocking and rolling in less than 20 minutes makes it a no-brainer.

And if you do experience a small boilover - a true rarity - you can just hose everything down (try THAT in the kitchen - I dare you!).

Hopsnort

ian said:
I, unfortunately ;), am not one of those. I think it is a direct corrolation to the amount of homebrew I consume while homebrewing! That and I brew with somebody who's also brewing - and my daughter is usually "watching" so attention tends to stray.

hazards of the hobby! ;)

Michael_Schaap said:
Does this full boil even come in the winter? Outside?

Does last Sunday, 34 degrees, 4950 ft. elevation in Northern Utah count? An unregistered "lurker" and I did two 5 gallon batches. Full boil in a little over 20 minutes - never covered pot. Steeped the grains inside though, as the pot cools off too quick outside.

However, a cold and W I N D Y day is going to really throw off your timing.

Hopsnort

Sorry to kinda hijack the thread but it got me thinking.

Where my fermenter is is downstairs from the kitchen (basement sorta thing, hard to describe). There's no stove or anything down here, I thought about using a free standing gas burner for boiling but that seemed a bit risky fire-wise. Then I remembered that there was an electric deep frier down there (similar to this ) just a lot older.

Think it would do the trick for boiling my stuff? I know the oil capicity is only 2.5 L (0.7 gallons) but it would probably take 3 times that much liquid in it without reaching the top.

EDIT- Nevermind, I found it holds no where near enough.

Back