$65 an hour? WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
Got my computer back from the tech place earlier today. Looked at the bill and it was just over $160. So I took a look at everything to make sure there wasnt a mistake or anything.

$65 a ****ing hour? A whole hour and a half worth of work. You're ****ing kidding me right!?

Yes, the math doesnt add up. I also had them put a years worth of their security crap on it for an extra $60.

Anyone else know nothing about computers have to pay this kind of money? Jesus, I feel like I just saw a lawyer or took the truck to a mechanic.

Lord knows my ass hurt after writing that check out. **** me

Working on it.

At least I know to carry some lube in with me next time. Or just keep my computer secured. Either way

BBKing said:
Got my computer back from the tech place earlier today. Looked at the bill and it was just over $160. So I took a look at everything to make sure there wasnt a mistake or anything.

$65 a ****ing hour? A whole hour and a half worth of work. You're ****ing kidding me right!?

Yes, the math doesnt add up. I also had them put a years worth of their security crap on it for an extra $60.

Anyone else know nothing about computers have to pay this kind of money? Jesus, I feel like I just saw a lawyer or took the truck to a mechanic.

Mechanics in my area charge 75-100 an hour. Seems to be the standard labor rate around here.

Thank god for google, has saved me thousands.

When I do side computer/tech work, I charge $100-$125/hour... When I first started doing the side work, many years ago, I would charge $50/hour, then it went to $75/hour and finally either $100 or $125/hour. The difference was determined by if the person was a customer/client from before I went to that point or not.

If you want someone that actually KNOWS what they're doing, then you pay a premium. If you don't care if the work is sub-standard, then look for the cheapest place you can find. Just don't biotch about your system running like ass in a short amount of time.

BTW, then you have work done by a company, they charge you one rate. The person that did the work gets paid something very different. Typically either 1/2 that, less than 1/2 that, or get a flat hourly rate from where they work.

If you don't want to pay for the technician's time, then do the stuff yourself. What did you take the computer to them for in the first place?

The Dealership I work at is 125 an hour...

What did they do to it? $65.00 is very good, to get your computer up to speed. I charge $125.00 for offices and $65.00 for personal users.

That's why I google. I don't mind your price structure because it motivates me to fix my own stuff. I am amazed at how much people will spend to avoid learning.

I would have to agree that either $65/hr was a great deal or those computer guys don't know what the hell they are doing and you got what you paid for.
I hope it wasn't the Best Buy Geek Squad... they are pros at screwing you out of a lot of money while not actually fixing your issues. I worked at a university IT Helpdesk and we had students all the time bringing their computers in saying they spent $100's at best buy on trying to fix it only to have it worse/slower than before and 30min of help from us we've got their problem fixed (FYI we charged $75/hr i think, and that was for busted ass students).

$65/hour is going rate for standard service. Low, actually.

I charge about $20/hour for word of mouth repairs. These are the people who know a friend or family member and ask if I can look at their computer. I don't generally do extra computer work on the side, but if it's for a friend or family, I just do it. I quite often won't charge anything, but settle for $20/hour if they insist.

If I did this for a living, then I'd have to charge at least $50 an hour to cover insurance, tax, etc.

Geeksquad is a rip-off. I know several people who sent their computer there, paying $100 prepaid, and they get their computer back with a "RESTORE" performed on the computer, some even after being told they can't lose their stuff. So the GS gets the computer, the tech knows nothing about personal files needing to be recovered and does the quickest thing he can: Boot to utilities partition and run a restore. Takes 10 minutes and they keep the $100. Jackasses.

Several times I've told people to at least let me look at it. I can normally save stuff off before anything bad happens.

Unfortunately, backing up data and doing a restore is the quickest way of dealing with a lot of the problems normally seen today. Backing up and re-installing from disc takes more time. Backing up and fixing the problems without re-installing takes the longest, and is less reliable due to the difficulty often seen on completely eliminating the problem software.

If I spend 4 hours backing up and running scans I normally only charge for 2 hours, or the time it takes to do the backup. The scans can run on their own without me sitting there. So I don't charge for the time that I can be off brewing beer, or playing WoW, or building whatever project I am working on.

I've done wayyyy too much pro-bono computer work for my neighbors. This usually works out OK, as they help me around the house too: Borrow their pick-up truck, bring the garbage can from the curb when I'm out of town, etc.

I do have another neighbor that wants to me to work free for him on his *office* computers (He's a dentist). He did hook me up once time on a root canal, but those happen far and few.

I generally don't like doing pro-bono if the person is going to be making money off of the deal and I get nothing in return.

Neighbors' PC's, no problem. I think that's good Karma. :D

M_C

I only do computer work for two people (three actually) well, besides myself: Girlfriend and her parents. As windows has evolved, I have lost some of my knowledge with it, because it got better and more stable! Back when I had windows 2k, I was doing a re-install every 6 months or more, and fixing problems at least every month. XP was on my old computer for 3 years I believe and never did a re-install. Windows 7 has been the best I have used so far, I really like it. Stable, fast, and pretty user friendly once I learned how it worked.

I would not pay someone else though. I can fix 90% of anything on my own, the other 10% can be fixed by backing up and run the restore ;)

For $160 you could have almost built yourself a new system. Every 3 years I build a completely new system, it's not that hard to do.

_

For $160 you could have almost built yourself a new system. Every 3 years I build a completely new system, it's not that hard to do.

_

I wouldn't even buy a CPU for less than $200 right now. Of course it's not the smallest out there... But not the fastest by a long shot either.

I think my case and MOBO cost about $160...

I used to do field service, repairing microwaves, electric stoves, and restaurant equipment. For home repairs, we charged $65 hr., from the moment I rang your doorbell. My boss LOVED high-rise calls, because the clock started from the moment I hit the elevator call button. THAT was 25 years ago!

And just like shelly_belly, I saw PRECIOUS LITTLE of that$65hr.!!!

As has been said several time on this thread $65/hr is a good rate. I charge anywhere from $100 - $150 and I am not part of a company. I just do it on my own when I feel like it or when someone decides they have a problem. Most issues with computers can be solved simply by running various utilities and keeping your computer up to date. It is rare to find an issue where the only solution is to format and restore. Most utilities I use are free and can be found by searching (google) for them.

Just some free advice here if you want it:
1. Keep a firewall running (yes even Windows Firewall is better than nothing)
2. Keep your anti-virus up to date. I use Avast on all my computers (except the iMac) and it auto updates.
3. Set up a scheduled task to defrag your system at least once a month (the more you copy, create, delete files the more often you should defrag)
4. Keep all your drivers and system file up to date. Nearly all software vendors, hardware vendors and OS vendors provide some sort of update, especially for security issues.
5. If your not sure of running something will hurt your computer, DON'T run it.
6. Stop clicking on every link in your email, even if it came from a family member. You never know if their computer was infected with a worm that distributes itself via email.
7. Scan unknown files. If someone sends you a file you want to open, right click on it and tell the virus scanner to scan it. As far as I know all the major AV provide this ability and most will also scan compressed files such as .ZIP, .RAR, .CAB, etc.
8. Make friends with IT people and buy them beer. It's amazing how far a 6-pack of homebrew goes for computer repairs.

IMHO, $65 of tech work is well worth a 6-pack of great homebrew.

-Stanley

That's why I google. I don't mind your price structure because it motivates me to fix my own stuff. I am amazed at how much people will spend to avoid learning.

It's not learning. I charge $300 something for the work I do. Should I spend an hour learning and two hours doing or work three hours and pay someone $125 for an hour of doing?

Specialization makes sense.

I just dropped my Jeep off at a mechanic to diagnosis an electrical problem I could not solve. $75/hr and I called almost every mechanic in town and that was going rate.

It's not learning. I charge $300 something for the work I do. Should I spend an hour learning and two hours doing or work three hours and pay someone $125 for an hour of doing?

Specialization makes sense.

I'd rather spend 5 or more hours of learning than pay someone $1. In the end I learned something and have my problem fixed. The skills you learn transfer to other things. I already mentioned that I have no problem with the price structure for a service call. I just like to learn on my own.

iaefebs said:
I'd rather spend 5 or more hours of learning than pay someone $1. In the end I learned something and have my problem fixed. The skills you learn transfer to other things. I already mentioned that I have no problem with the price structure for a service call. I just like to learn on my own.

This. The only way I pay someone to do work for me is if it is cheaper for me to do so.

Being relatively young, and still in school, it usually is more financially appropriate to do it myself. Although, ask me again later in my career, if I'd rather paint a room or pay someone, and that answer will probably change.

Computer science student here.

I've formatted my computer about 30 times in the last 10 years. It's hit a pretty simple process. I keep a back up of the files i can't stand to lose. A list of the programs i use most often and keep track of where my OS install disk and utility disk is.

I'd suggest a few of the following.

1. Use firefox, it seems to be safer and less vulnerable then ie.. atleast i've gotten far fewer viruses since i switched.
2. A good anti-virus. I've been using AVG which seems to be pretty decent.
3. Suggested Addons for Firefox:
> Adblock = seems to stop most pop-ups
> Xmarks = it'll save all of your bookmarks between reinstalls, and sync them up between multiple computers, it's pretty neat. works with ie too.

Avoid downloading .rar files if you can help it. At-least from unknown sources.
Run disk defrag every once in awhile. If your computer is starting to slow down this may be why. It's general upkeep, kinda like changing the oil in a car.

Anyway doing all of that saves me some headache when it comes to keeping my computer running well. formatting really isn't difficult. The idea that people are getting paid over 100 dollars an hour to sit in an air-conditioned building watching a loading bar go and hitting next when it pops up, is a little mind boggling.

It isn't exactly rocket science.

Look around Craigslist or ask friends. I do everything myself, but I have friends who do "IT" work and they do stuff on the side. Will usually give you a pretty honest upfront quote.

Like any time you take something to someone else to get fixed, ask for a quote. If they can fix it at all they should be able to quickly identify and estimate the time involved.

And this is my first post here.

When I do side computer/tech work, I charge $100-$125/hour... When I first started doing the side work, many years ago, I would charge $50/hour, then it went to $75/hour and finally either $100 or $125/hour. The difference was determined by if the person was a customer/client from before I went to that point or not.

If you want someone that actually KNOWS what they're doing, then you pay a premium. If you don't care if the work is sub-standard, then look for the cheapest place you can find. Just don't biotch about your system running like ass in a short amount of time.

BTW, then you have work done by a company, they charge you one rate. The person that did the work gets paid something very different. Typically either 1/2 that, less than 1/2 that, or get a flat hourly rate from where they work.

If you don't want to pay for the technician's time, then do the stuff yourself. What did you take the computer to them for in the first place?

I took my computer in because it was crazy infected with viruses. A little history here: This used to be a shared computer when I still lived with my step-mother. My step-sisters bonehead boyfriend seemingly downloaded whatever his little heart desired despite my wishes. After awhile it just seemed like my security (Norton amongst others) just couldnt keep up and the damn thing got slower and slower and slower.

So I decided that it was probably something that I should have a pro look at. I know a little about computers but obviously not enough and figured fixing this problem was probably a little over my head. I took it to a shop opened up a year ago by a guy thats a year older than I, who I also partied with in our younger days. Computer whiz kid for sure. Got a call later in the day telling me that the whole thing was so corrupted that it needed to be completely wiped clean.

Had I have known that, I could have done it myself with some frustration and maybe a couple F-bombs.

After looking at the responses to this, it seems like I got a great deal. My computer runs like new and from what my old friend said the security system seems to be top of the line. At least I'm impressed so far (that doesnt mean a whole lot). Know anything about "Sophos"?

I dont know if I got a "I partied with that guy" deal or if his prices are low as he starts out, but I sure wont ***** next time knowing that some people are getting charged 2 or 3 times what I was. I retract my original post :D Thanks for the perspective!

I just dropped my Jeep off at a mechanic to diagnosis an electrical problem I could not solve. $75/hr and I called almost every mechanic in town and that was going rate.

A friend of mine just quit a job as a mechanic and thats what his place was charging also.

I took my computer in because it was crazy infected with viruses. A little history here: This used to be a shared computer when I still lived with my step-mother. My step-sisters bonehead boyfriend seemingly downloaded whatever his little heart desired despite my wishes. After awhile it just seemed like my security (Norton amongst others) just couldnt keep up and the damn thing got slower and slower and slower.

So I decided that it was probably something that I should have a pro look at. I know a little about computers but obviously not enough and figured fixing this problem was probably a little over my head. I took it to a shop opened up a year ago by a guy thats a year older than I, who I also partied with in our younger days. Computer whiz kid for sure. Got a call later in the day telling me that the whole thing was so corrupted that it needed to be completely wiped clean.

I used to run a computer shop and did this kind of stuff professionally before I changed careers. Some of the most time-consuming PITA computer work is trying to restore systems that are riddled with viruses, assuming you want to save your existing data (which most people with this problem do). You can end up with so much infected crap strewn about that it is nearly impossible to recover all the data. It is much faster and easier to just wipe your HD and reinstall everything, but nobody ever wants to do that so they bring their computer in to an expert to pull their hair out instead.

Most of the time if you are considering taking your computer to a guy to do virus repair, they are going to tell you to wipe everything because it's just the safest way to ensure you don't have viruses on your system anymore (until you download them again).

If you want to keep your data and not worry about viruses, what you CAN do is just buy a replacement hard drive and do a clean install yourself from the install disc that came with your computer. You can even keep your old HD and put it in an external enclosure, that you can then connect to your computer and copy data from it. Be sure to virus scan the bejeezus out of anything you copy before you do so.

For about the same price as what you paid (more or less, depending upon the age of your system and size of the HD), you would end up with a brand new HD and all your old infected data sitting on an external drive, that you can copy, erase, or do whatever with at your discretion.

Frankly, for that kind of stuff I think $65/hr is a bargain. At this point in my life you couldn't pay me less than a couple hundred an hour to get that kind of headache.

BBKing: I don't know Sophos, but I have 2 suggestions for you:

1. If you NEED Windows (or somehow love it) there are 2 great antivirus you can download for free: Spybot S&D, and Lavasoft's "Ad Aware". I personally use Spybot for all my customers (I'm also one of the computer techs here), as I find it easier to live with than Ad Aware, but both are great. In any case, I'd strongly suggest you don't share a Windows computer. People seem to think that somehow an apology is enough to fix a computer they messed up.

2. If you don't need Windows, switch to Ubuntu, and forget about viruses! I did the switch little more than 2 years ago, and had loved every minute since. Only have Windows 7 on my desktop computer, because I need it to run Solidworks.

Inodoro Pereyra said:
BBKing: I don't know Sophos, but I have 2 suggestions for you:

1. If you NEED Windows (or somehow love it) there are 2 great antivirus you can download for free: Spybot S&D, and Lavasoft's "Ad Aware". I personally use Spybot for all my customers (I'm also one of the computer techs here), as I find it easier to live with than Ad Aware, but both are great. In any case, I'd strongly suggest you don't share a Windows computer. People seem to think that somehow an apology is enough to fix a computer they messed up.

2. If you don't need Windows, switch to Ubuntu, and forget about viruses! I did the switch little more than 2 years ago, and had loved every minute since. Only have Windows 7 on my desktop computer, because I need it to run Solidworks.

1. Spybot and ad aware are not AV's, they are spyware removal

2. I would not suggest any linux distro to someone that doesn't know much about computers.

1. Spybot and ad aware are not AV's, they are spyware removal

2. I would not suggest any linux distro to someone that doesn't know much about computers.

1. Nope. I used Spybot for more than 3 years before switching to Ubuntu, and ever since in customers' computers. It gets rid of malware, worms, trojans, and any other kind of virus you throw at it. Ad aware is actually more focused on adware, but, just as Spybot, will deal with anything else, and both are very aggressive.

2. I didn't know the first thing about Ubuntu when I switched. In general terms, Ubuntu is much easier to use than Windows, and, for the few things that may be more challenging, there's a great forum at http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php.

Back