Malt Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadtr5

Reaction score
Ok, say I have a recipe that calls for 1 can of Malt Syrup-Light and 3 lbs. of Malt Powder-Light. The syrup and powder seems a little processed and unnatural. Am I sacrificing quality by using these in my recipe? And if so, is there a higher quality, more natural malt subsitute. And if there is, how do I subsitute them into the recipe with the given amounts needed???

Malt extract and powdered malt should be pure malted barley unless otherwise stated. The only thing better is to extract your own from mashed barley grains.

Just watch you don't get corn syrup or rice syrup.

Orfy is quite right. If you get your malt extract from a source that deals in brewing, you should get good quality malt extracts that are pure and perfectly good for brewing.

However, malts are used for other things as well. When I was a young kid, we used to get liquid malt extract that contained cod liver oil! I cannot imagine what a brew would taste like if that were used.

Stick to the brewing extracts, and you will be fine.

-a.

ajf said:
we used to get liquid malt extract that contained cod liver oil! I cannot imagine what a brew would taste like if that were used.

-a.

Wow were you lucky. I used to have to take a spoonful of liquid
cod liver oil every morning to offset my vitamin defecient diet
when I was a youngster. At least you had the malt to disguise
the taste.

Latest posts

Back