Where can I try an English Bitter? Please don't say "England".

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
Living in central Kansas limits me. I'll be in Colorado in the near future, and I know there are great Colorado brews to try and have. But, I've always wanted to try an English Bitter. Is there any faint hope of finding a good one in Denver, Boulder, or Fort Collins? If not, would a well-supplied liquor store have anything someone might suggest in a bottle? Brand?

If its in a bottle its not a real Bitter. It needs to be brewed to British standards and pulled from a keg with a beer engine. If its carbonated and cold , your not drinking a real ale. Some pubs do a good example here but its like British fish and chips. You can't get it here unless you make it yourself or find a pub in your area that does it right. I'm sure some pubs in Denver have a good Bitter.:mug:

If you're able to get your hands on it outside of Texas then try Real Ale Brewing Co. Phoenix ESB.

As stated above it's not a real bitter because it is carbed and bottled. However it is a great beer. And the brewery does a lot of limited release cask ales as well.

I have always been a Fuller's ESB fan. A good liquor/beer store should have it.

What you are drinking is good but it is bottled and brewed for the American market. It is bottled and is no longer a Bitter . It is now a carbonated Pale Ale. Fullers in England from a cask is completely different.:mug:

shutupjojo said:
What you are drinking is good but it is bottled and brewed for the American market. It is bottled and is no longer a Bitter . It is now a carbonated Pale Ale. Fullers in England from a cask is completely different.:mug:

I first had Fuller's while in London at the brewery. But valid point.

Look for Coniston Bluebird Bitter. It is British and is imported into the US. I had it on tap locally here in Cambridge and that is definitely better than the bottle. But, the bottle is still good. And for me, it's one of the better bitters you can get outside of London.

Most of the bitters imported here (unfortunately including Bluebird) will be more carbonated than true bitters which are comparitively flat.

But this is why homebrewing is so great. Make your own and carbonate it the way it should be (which is adding little to no priming sugar).

Latest posts

Back