guiness bottles w/widget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's another thread going about this.... but the short answer is yes. The Druaghts make good bottles as the label is plastic and can be cut of instead of soaked off. The widget comes out by lodging it in the neck and getting some needle nosed pliers on it to yank it out. I love 'em.

One of these days I think I might do an experiment and use a beer gun to refill one of those with the widget still inside using beer gas. I wonder what would happen. :)

paranode said:
One of these days I think I might do an experiment and use a beer gun to refill one of those with the widget still inside using beer gas. I wonder what would happen. :)
If the beer is carbed with beer gas, probably not much. The widget works on high pressure and low carbonation (achieved by adding a minute amount of liquid nitrogen to the bottle before capping). Low pressure/low carbonation probably won't yield much of a spectacular result. On the contrary, if you overcarbonate to achieve the high pressure requirement, you'll just get foam.

I read on another green forum about some guys who tried to replicate the liquid nitrogen bottling process and had mixed results. They couldn't regulate the amount well enough to guarantee success and gave up on the idea.

There's another thread going about this.... but the short answer is yes. The Druaghts make good bottles as the label is plastic and can be cut of instead of soaked off. The widget comes out by lodging it in the neck and getting some needle nosed pliers on it to yank it out. I love 'em.
I just made this fascinating discovery not minutes ago...great bottles!

Ditto on using these. Some old needle nose pliers and a knife to cut off the label is all you need. Just warn your guests that it is not a Guiness.

Back