blonde ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigga4032

Reaction score
brewed a blonde three weeks ago, put in the fridge with a temp controller at 65f, was going to bottle today so i moved it from the garage last night so it would have time to settle back down, went to bottle it but noticed the temp got up to 74f and is bubbling out the airlock again, what should i do?

You should check the specific gravity with your hydrometer and see how close you are to your expected final gravity. In particular, if it's under 1.020, you're probably good to bottle.

Otherwise, I'd guess after three weeks fermentation is over, but the only way to tell for sure is to check the gravity.

Bubbling airlocks mean very little. In this case, since the temperature has gone up, there's more pressure in the fermenter and the air is escaping because of this.

Take a hydrometer reading then wait a few days and then take another . If your readings are the same secondary or bottle which ever you prefer. Cheers!

Most likely the natural carbonation from fermentation coming out of solution at the slightly warmer temp!

opened the lid to check the gravity, there is a thick bubbly foam on top of the beer from all the gases being released, should i check it or let it sit for a few days

When in doubt, just wait.

If I had to guess, I say that there is a 99% chance that you just releases some CO2 by upping the temp. I'd much rather wait 3 days than have bottle bombs though.

just use your hydrometer its the only way to be sure its done. 2 same readings in a 3 day period.

Taking hydrometer readings a couple days apart is the only way you will know 100% that it is done fermenting. I would be pretty surprised if it isn't done fermenting after 3 weeks, provided it is a normalish gravity beer.

Like others stated, the bubbles are more than likely CO2 coming out of solution.

Back