Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
How long do specialty grains last after they have been crushed? I purchased grains pre-crushed from GnG about two and a half weeks ago (Victory, biscuit, munich, 60 L), and was wondering if they can still be used when I brew next weekend (about 4 weeks old by then), or should I purchase new grains?

In fact, I had used some grains from a previous order in my most recent batches.

So, I guess the question is, will grains that have been pre-crushed weeks before use make as good of beer as "freshly crushed"?

Cheers,

People will often say two weeks just to be cautious. But if you wrap-up your grains really airtight and store them in a cool, dry spot (but not in the fridge or freezer), then they should last for a month (possibly more). I have used some crushed grains that were well over a month old and they tasted great, although I have seen some stale over this period of time too.

Your best bet is to taste some of the grains before you brew. If they still taste fresh, and you aren't picking up any staleness, they should be fine to brew. Given the timeframe you mention, I think you should be fine.

I put mine in freezer bags and freeze them. That protects them from the freezer flavor for months.

But, just keep them cool & you should be fine.

A month or so for milled grains is usually max, unless you can seal them up as mentioned. I really like the food saver vacuume packer machines. They work great for keeping your grains and hops fresh, plus they are really nice for buying in bulk and during hunting season.

I just steeped the rest of the one lb. I had leftover and then froze the liquid (yes, I'm that cheap...actually, I just hate to WASTE resources).

I'll let you know how that works out.

Back