Keg Quick Tip - Keg Wrench Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaney

Reaction score
I was working on a project around the house the other day and needed a 7/8 wrench. I go to my tool kit, and the 7/8 wrench is missing! :mad: I go back out to the workbench digging around, frustrated that I forgot to put the wrench back, and wondering where it could be. I suddenly remember I was using it to clean my keg a few days ago! :) It was at that point I decided it was necessary to get a dedicated keg wrench.

I went to the mall today to do some last minute Christmas shopping and parked over by Sears. As I'm walking in I see the tools and something makes me pause, I know there was something I needed here... A Keg Wrench!!!

photo-1-61673.jpg

I picked up this stubby little guy since you don't really need a lot of torque on the ball lock posts. The size will be very easy to pack away neatly also! Notice the bottle cap for size comparison.

I didn't want to lose this wrench so I spent a few minutes thinking about what to do and came up with this:
photo-2-61674.jpg

This is just a repeating square knot, similar to a hemp necklace. The cord I used is cheap knock off 550 paracord, I used around 9 feet. Here is the back just to be thorough.

photo-3-61675.jpg

This cord wrapping around the handle will add some insulation in case I keep the wrench inside my kegerator. The length at the end allows me to drape the wrench over the keg, or lash it to something so I never lose it. I could have left that big knot off the back, but I put it there to try to prevent the wrench from clanging into the keg. It didn't work, now the bottom of the wrench hits the keg :(.

You can either drape the wrench lanyard over the keg, or lash it to the handle with a Lark's Head like the following two examples.

photo-4-61676.jpg

Wrench draped over the keg.

photo-5-61677.jpg

Wrench lashed to the keg handle.

The wrench itself cost $12 and change, though I suspect you could find it much cheaper if you shop around, at yardsales, harbor freight, etc... The rope was in a bargain bin at home depot last year around $3 for 50 feet of knockoff 550 paracord. The lanyard took 9 feet of rope and 10-15 minutes time.

Hopefully this idea will help some of you, or at least spark an idea! Happy brewing!
:mug:

Back