Boiling ten gallons!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
So, my first attempt at a 10 gallon batch i did yesterday. Everything went smooth. I mashed inside, hit all the temps. Lugged about 13 1/2 gallons outside to the garage where it was 3 degrees. turned on the space heater and fired up the hurricane burner. it took almost an hour and a half to get it to a small rolling boil. nothing huge, no huge hot break.
When i do 5 gallon batchs i can boil off 3 gallons in the first hour, so that is why i collected the 13 1/2 gallons. Since i didnt have a huge boil, due to amount of ambient temp, i ended up with 12 gallons of brew. as such my ABV is going to be a bit lower than i wanted (4.7%) but the good news is i acheived 82% efficiency:rockin:

Perhaps the humidity had something to do with it? I commend you though. I am in the Seattle area. My brew buddy and myself brave the 20 degree cold of our abnormally chilly winter and feel accomplished. You, sir, are hardcore. :tank:

Well, i have to admit, if I had brew in the kegs right now I would not have been out there!

Hey, Rev - I did my first 10 gallon yesterday too. Luckily my garage is insulated. With the burners going it was about 30 degrees in there. I mashed in the garage, and my new mash tun ( 70 quart Coleman xtreme cooler) only lost 3 degrees in an hour and a half.

You should look into these burners http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=30295.000000&l=1

I bought two of them for my new sculpture. I'm not sure how long it took to boil, but I fired the burner up halfway through the sparge and it didn't seem like it took long at all (maybe 15 minutes).

Yeah, by the time i was done and with the burner and the space heater my garage was up to about 35 or so. It wasnt too bad, at least i will have beer soon.

Latest posts

Back