How often should I take a sample....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
I am still new, so sorry for the semi stupid question. Should I sample often to check on the progression or just plug it up and let it sit till it stops bubbling? I have a thief and as much as I want to return the sample, I just can't bring myself to pour it back down the carboy's thoat, so I pour it down mine hehe. I know that I increase the chance of infection w/samples but as long as I sanitize it should be ok....I think. I do check the gravity with the the sample gone from 1.053 to 1.030 in 3 days so that is atleast good (IPA extract brew)

i generally leave it till I don't notice it bubbling so much any more, and then take a sample. I keep that sample for a couple of days so I can see if the gravity changes at all, if it doesn't then I bottle.
Course I taste the sample a bit too... but basically i open the fermenter as little as possible.

Same here. Once the bubbling in the airlock is down to about once a minute or longer, then I rack to secondary. I usually take an SG reading then. And I never return the sample to the carboy.

Rhoobarb said:
Same here. Once the bubbling in the airlock is down to about once a minute or longer, then I rack to secondary. I usually take an SG reading then. And I never return the sample to the carboy.

Same here. I NEVER return my sample OR my thief back into the brew.

Actually you can take your sample as you're racking to the secondary without using your thief.

Latest posts

Back