Final Gravity problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomagetti

Reaction score
I got the coopers starter kit for christmas and have just finished bottling my first batch. Its was one of the pre made tins that came with the kit ( a mexican style larger). I followed the instructions that came with the dvd and everything was fine or so i thought. It was only after I had finished bottling the brew that i went to check the alcohol percentage and it looks like i may have made an error somewhere. The original gravity was 1005 and the final gravity gave me a reading of 1006. From what i can gather this leaves me with a minus alcohol %. Can this happen or have i made an error somewhere?

Thanks for any advice in advance

The quick answer is, operator error. Your OG reading was wrong. When you make a wort by mixing malt syrup with water, it is extremely difficult to get the pot fully mixed. Your gravity sample was mostly the top-up water.

The kit instructions must have given the OG - use that to calculate your ABV. Then, relax and have a beer.

Cheers!

Thanks. I was guessing/hoping id done something wrong initially. Guess ill be making more mistakes over the next few months.

Cheers

Well, if you're anything like me, you'll be making mistakes over the next few years, not months. The good news is, the process is very forgiving and you almost always end up with beer.

No worries!

Thanks for all the help and reassurance. been bottled 2 weeks today and just tasted my 1st bottle.Not bad just not much fizz to it.

Latest posts

Back