Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajm

Reaction score
I used a 3 piece airlock to brew my first batch of hard cider. About an hour or two after I added the necessary ingredients I realized that there was too much water in the airlock. I reacted by slightly tilting the jug with airlock attached and poured out some of the liquid. Is this bad? Did I taint my cider by doing this?

what do you use in your airlock? is it tap water or sanitized water? best advice is to use vodka instead of water. it should (99%) be fine

You are fine. Air is perfectly fine at the start of fermentation. You obviously want to keep anything from falling in the beer, but a few seconds to adjust the airlock is no worry.

+1 on sanitizer or vodka in the airlock. 99% of the time, it really won't matter, but a quick temp drop could make the airlock flow backwards. If that happens, the sanitizer/vodka will keep you safe.

Latest posts

Back