Cyser Recipe -- Needs Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessebymail

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to try a mead and came up with a cyser I'd like to make. I'm not sure on honey/water/apple juice values though. I'm thinking
11lbs honey
2 gallons apple juice
1 lbs brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
with nutrients and mead yeast
water to 5 gallons

Minus the apple juice Beersmith has got SG at 1.102, they don't have an apple juice on the program so thats whats screwing me up. No water? More honey? I'm shooting for like 1.110 SG, if you have a 5 gallon recipe similar please share. Thanks :mug:

This is mine. My first cyser and it is still sitting in secondary.

8 lbs clover honey
4**gallon cider
1 lbs brown sugar
1/2tsp Wyeast nutrient
D47

5 Golden Delicious Apples
5 Ida Red Apples

Staggered nutrients throughout first 3 days of fermentation

OG: 1.130
FG: 1.002

I don't plan to bottle it until May. At first it lasted like rocket fuel but the few tastes I have had recently the apple flavor has returned. I am going for a balance of apple flavor and honey. I am excited for this one.

That sounds pretty good I hadn't thought of using apples, I think I will too.
I don't have much experience with nutrients I had only planned on one addition but I might try another when I transfer it. What is D47?
I'm looking for a balanced taste too, maybe I will adjust it, less honey more juice and slice up a couple apples.
You hit 1.130 with 8 gallons of honey? Maybe I should just follow yours and substitute the cider with juice.

I am not sure if the apples really added anything but we had just come from the apple orchard and I had a bunch of extra apples. If anything it may have added some extra nutrients.

D47 is the yeast; Lalvin D47.
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

For the nutrients if you do a search for SNA (Staggered Nutrient Additions) it'll come up with a bunch of info. But basically you add nutrients and aerate the must until the 1/3 sugar break. I have read that the 1/3 break equates roughly to the first 3 to 4 days of primary fermentation.

DAP (diammonium phosphate) is a yeast nutrient (it's actually just an N source for yeast) that is relatively inexpensive and very widely available at LHBS.

I've only brewed a cyser once, but I did what Fathand did, adding just cider - and not water - to bring to volume.

Back