Any ever use GATORbite connectors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalben

Reaction score
Preparing a new garage brewing setup- new table, 30 plate chiller on the way from KegCowboy, etc...and was looking thru the fixtures at the big boxes and online...as well as the myriad suggestions here, of course:)

This is the type I was wondering about...

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/sto...TE GatorBITE 1/2 Removable Female Adapter 203

If the camlocks are the way to go- as many seem to indicate-where's the best source? KegCowboy is awaiting a supply of them, but unsure of ETA.

Thanks
:mug:

I don't know if that o-ring is food grade.

Most people are getting their Cam Locks from BarginFittings and Proflowdynamics.

I've used the gatorbites in my side business as a handyman, but never in a brewing setup. I know they work well and don't leak, but I wouldn't recomend them in a brewing system if you plan on breaking it down for storage/cleaning.

Also, not sure how they'd work as far as cleaning them. Where in your setup did you plan on using them?

My initiall plan was just to utilize to and from the plate chiller, so 4 females and a male at the pot, I guess?

I'm still doing extracts right now.
Movin up later down the road;^)

They are indeed removable, but I don't think they're designed to be used this way repeatedly. I expect after three or four dis-assembly cycles, they'll be dripping. You probably want to consider a true quick-disconnect solution

I've used the gatorbites on home plumbing projects and they did the job fine. If you are looking for a cam-lock solution, Bargain Fittings has them and has great service.

I purchased the aluminum cam-locks from proflowdynamics and replaced the o-rings with food grade silicone for a few extra bucks. I couldn't come out of pocket for the stainless and the aluminum was very cheap. Someone just had a thread about it recently.

Good luck.

I believe they would work for "Hard Plumbing" your system. Max temp is 250 degrees. As far as cleaning, I believe a good flush with near boiling water "post-brew" would be enough.
I like that you can use Copper as well as CPVC and PEX.
I am about to use them for water lines (PEX) in my Brew House and specifically for my Counter Flow Chiller.

Hey, thanks for the info.
The chill plate is supposed to be arriving sometime in the next week or so I suppose, so it's no real rush.
Looking at the Bargain Fittings site it's not exactly clear what to order fro my application, but I'll get 'er figured out.
Where are you in VA?
My wife works w/ a couple former Navy JAG guys at the DOJ here in Norfolk.

Hey, thanks for the info.
The chill plate is supposed to be arriving sometime in the next week or so I suppose, so it's no real rush.
Looking at the Bargain Fittings site it's not exactly clear what to order fro my application, but I'll get 'er figured out.
Where are you in VA?
My wife works w/ a couple former Navy JAG guys at the DOJ here in Norfolk.

I'm in Roanoke now, but end up in Norfolk from time to time. Those JAG guys are trouble, you can't trust a thing they say ;).

I'm not sure which version would work best for your application. I just set aside the lettered references and bought the female and male versions of what I needed once I laid out how my plumbing would work. I didn't go with any hard plumbing but opted for the silcone tubing, it made my life easier. The SS cam-lock thread is also helpful in figuring out how to best impliment them, plus the benefit of seeing how a lot of other guys set things up. Of course I'm still in the SLOW grind of the build so the whole thing might fall apart when I flip the switch.

I've used the Home Depot version of these (Sharkbites or something like that). I used them in my HLT to attach my HERMS coil (copper) on the inside. Only brewed with it once so far but seems to work fine. I used those so I can pull the coil out if it needs cleaning.
tom

Those shark/gator bite thingies are more expensive than the camlocks though, and are brass as opposed to stainless?

+1 on the camlocks, for what it's worth. I use 'em on mine, and love them. They do take a wee bit of getting used to, and aren't one handed like the (brass) ball lock style disconnects from MMC, but after a couple of uses, they're second nature now. I got mine from Proflowdynamics, but would recommend looking after HBT's own, and snagging from either Austin Homebrew, or Bargain Fittings:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_40_131_482

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=51

Back