Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hchaudry

Reaction score
Is there any saving this cider?

image-2990256706.jpg

if that's mold on top, maybe. You can rack the cider out from under it, and it shouldn't be effected. If it's a bacteria, likely not. That's a small pic, but it looks like it could be a mold.

Can you taste it to see if it's turning into vinegar or anything like that? What does it smell like in the fermenter?

How long has it been in there in that state? I had a similar issue, although it was not that advanced. Yooper suggested racking out of that container into another carboy on to campton tabs. When I racked, I did not notice any off flavors. I have since bottled it. Seems ok, but I do like to age my cider and I have not tasted it yet since putting it in bottles. I'd suggest trying the same thing. Make sure you top off the carboy as far up to the stopper as you can so as little of the cider is exposed to oxygen as possible.

This was the previous post I'm referring to.

I think it's only been a few days at most. Will try reracking.

When you rack, make sure you use enough crushed campden tablets (one per gallon) dissolved well in some of the cider. And the most important part- rack to a smaller container! The reason for the mold (or whatever that is) is because of the excessive headspace. You want NO headspace, with the cider nearly to the bung. Headspace allows oxygen to sit in there, allowing mold to take hold, as well as the possibility of aceterobacter to work. So make sure it's topped up appropriately, in a smaller carboy!

When did you start the batch?? If this is fresh, and in primary, then that's different than if you've already racked after fermentation was complete.

This is secondary. I reracked about 2 weeks ago.

Well, as was said, the amount of headspace is a huge issue. You want to make sure there is NO headspace in the carboy, and top up to within an inch of the bung. The best way to do it is to rack to a smaller carboy, since that would be a lot to top up.

This happened in the secondary. Fermentation had basically stopped and most of the yeast etc had fallen.

The camden tablets worked and the cider doesn't taste bad. It's pear juice based so tastes light. Quick question, how would you carbonate after the camden tablets? Also, I have a gravity reading of 1.005.

If you add more yeast, and there are more fermentables in there (there should be untill you hit 1.000 or below), fermentation will restart and you could carb naturally. Campden tablets dissipate after a day or two. But bear in mind that it will ferment completely dry if you do this. You'd have to wait for it to ferment completely dry, then add priming sugar and bottle. Or else you can watch the bottles carefully and pastuerize.
If you can force carb, you could just do that now.

Back