Waiting to pitch yeast? Is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interplexr

Reaction score
I'll be brewing today but the yeast I've been waiting on probably won't get here till this evening. It's my day off so I can't really change when I brew. I normally let the cooled wort sit covered in the brew pot with the lid sprayed with Starsan and covered in tinfoil for 30 minutes to let a lot of the trub settle before I transfer to my primary. If I wait for the mail guy it might be a couple hours sitting there waiting on yeast.

This is a 3 gallon batch and I typically use White Labs without a starter. It normally seems like enough yeast but if I'm mistaken there feel free to correct me. Critiques are always welcome.

I could transfer a similar batch and wash up that yeast and repitch. It's a hefe strain but not the one I have coming today. That might just mean I'll have to brew again in the near future though. ;)

It's fine, although I would transfer to the primary and have the wort sit there instead of the kettle - lower chances for infection, plus you don't get as much stratification before racking.

Back