What type of CO2 do I need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshel

Reaction score
Just got a kegging set up and I am calling around to get the tank filled. Some of the places are asking if I need "Food Grade"? Do I need food grade?? I guess I thought co2 was co2. Whats the differance does it really matter???

Sure it matters if they can charge a different premium for a gas comprised of 1 part Carbon and 2 parts Oxygen.

But, for what it's worth, Industrial Grade welding gases are usually held to higher purity standard than even some medical gases.

The guy at the Air Liquide place explained that the food grade bottles get cleaned inside and outside more thoroughly.

Apparently when the gas runs out the beer can run backwards in to the tank. So it requires a cleaning every fill.

If the beer "ran backwards" into the tank after the gas ran out, we'd be buying new regulators with every tank fill. Industrial-grade CO2 is perfectly fine.

The only CO2 to be a little careful of is some of the stuff used for paintball may have some oil in it for lubrication.

Thanks i kind of figured the ind. gas was fine but thought i would ask, just to make sure.

I found this on the interwebz but you can't believe everything you read so I also sent Air Liquide an email. I will post it when I get a reply.

* To: "'Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com'" <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
* Subject: CO2 purity (explained)
* Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 12:31:28 +-1100
* Encoding: 47 TEXT, 56 UUENCODE

Subject: CO2 purity?

> CO2 is not very pure? Is there differen't grades of C02?
<snip>
> The idea of not getting pure co2 is troubling to me, since I too
> had similar problems as the original poster with not being able
> my pH.

There are at least two different grades of CO2 available, (I found
out during a similar problem) Food grade, which is used in soda
machines and such, and commercial grade, which is used in some
welding applications from what I can tell. The food grade is what
you want.

The only difference between these two grades of CO2 is that the
bottle that it comes in. Both gases are 99.97% CO2, the food
grade bottles are internally glass coated, whereas the industrial
cylinders are straight steel.

The reason that there is a difference, is that by law, the food
systems have the possibility of back-flowing into the bottle
when the gas runs out. If the bottle was a standard industrial
bottle, the system would have the possibility of becoming
contaminated with rust from the internals of the bottle. (CO2
disolved in liquid from beverages is quite acidic and rusts the
inside of gas cylinders.

This would be the same as eating tinned food where the can
was rusting, you have the risk of contracting tetnis(?)(lock-jaw)
or some other illness associated with rust.

So the insides of food grade cylinders are washed each time
before the bottle gets refilled according to food hygene laws.

Therefore the food grade bottles are more expensive to hire, as
more work goes into refilling. According to the rules you are not
really permitted to use food grade CO2 for fish tanks, as what
you are hooking up to them is not passed by the food hygene
act, but I know that people do.

The only thing is that industrial CO2 is cheaper because there
is less involved in refilling cylinders, and has the same purity,
so that is why I use it.

Marque Crozman APD ANGFA(NSW) <><

Makes since. The key being the "possibility" for the food (beer) to run back in. A proper setup with have, at minimum, 1 check valve after the regulator preventing such occurrences.

I'll have to ask when I go to get my bottle filled. The place told me I could have the exact bottle filled, but i would have to wait a day or two since they don't fill every day. Curious though if it would be beneficial to exchange the cylinder if they go through a food-grade cleaning process for beverage CO2 cylinders....

Just to update, I got off the phone with a couple of suppliers asking for prices and asked them about the "Food Grade" CO2. Mainly this is for the FDA to have a paper trail to follow in the production of sold goods. Food-grade CO2 is suppose to come with a certificate of analysis verifying there is no contamination etc, and will typically add $50-70 bucks and several weeks to the industrial CO2 fill. The guy at one of the shops said if you were really concerned you could put an inline Gas filter off the regulator like you would for a compressed air system that tools use to filter out any potential debris.

Back