making cider with cheap juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
Due to the fact that cider is so expensive in NY this year i have been making it out of cheap apple juice. I haven't been thrilled with the results. Anyone have any advice?

I won't claim to be a master by any means, but I make all the cider that I make with cheap apple juice and I am fine with it. It depends on what you haven't been thrilled with. Is it just the taste difference that cider as opposed to juice lends? It is the time it takes to let it cool down the hot flavors? Sometimes, some yeast nutrient will help things not taste so boozy, sometimes a change of yeast rather than montrachet is good as well.

As with beer, time cures a lot of problems. I leave the apfelwein in the carboy for 6 months minimum. By that point, it is good and dry and not as boozy as it was by the end of the first month.

Cider jumped in price here in CT this year too. I mixed grocery store cider and good orchard cider for one batch this year (saved about 30% for total batch $) and didn't think it hurt very much. I can't say id go beyond a 50/50 ratio though...

I won't claim to be a master by any means, but I make all the cider that I make with cheap apple juice and I am fine with it. It depends on what you haven't been thrilled with. Is it just the taste difference that cider as opposed to juice lends? It is the time it takes to let it cool down the hot flavors? Sometimes, some yeast nutrient will help things not taste so boozy, sometimes a change of yeast rather than montrachet is good as well.

As with beer, time cures a lot of problems. I leave the apfelwein in the carboy for 6 months minimum. By that point, it is good and dry and not as boozy as it was by the end of the first month.

It is the taste difference. It has more of a boozy taste than I would like. I tried to back sweeten with some juice concentrates so I will see if that makes any difference. I was going for a dry cider but I don't mind it being a little sweet if it helps with the taste. I am going to try Brandon O's Graff next and see if that makes any difference. I use ale yeast so maybe ill just need to give it time. I have read a little about acid blend so I might look into that a little more.

Back