Black specks in floaters... Does it look alright to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raizilla

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently started brewing Kombucha again, and decided to grow my own SCOBY using a bottle of GT's original. I used water from a well-loved artesian well in town without considering that it might be problematic. My new SCOBY grew beautifully, and though there seemed to be a lot of yeasty/floater/growth activity going on in my first batch, there was never any mold, and it smelled/tasted fine, so I decided to continue with bottling.
Wanting to give them some more time to ferment/get carbonated, I've let the (sanitized) bottles sit for about a week now, and I'm seeing some slightly funky (?) growth going on in them.
On some of them (the one pictured in particular), there appears to be quite a number of tiny black specks IN the floater on top... although it's kind of difficult to see in the photo!

Do these look normal? I've brewed kombucha before, but have never bottled like this, and have never seen the tiny black specks like this. Since I used unboiled well water (for the first time) to make it, I'm not quite sure what to think.
Any thoughts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

-13.jpg

-12.jpg

That kinda just looks like maybe a new scoby starting with a bunch of floating yeast. I've actually seen similar things in the GT bottles being sold. I think it's fine.

I also use well water with no problems (the top off water portion unboiled), though I would recommend knowing if you're water is safe. I recently had water tests done for my homebrew, so I know my well water is a-okay. :mug:

Back