Should I Rack this to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Its been 10 days since I put my last beer in primary. I had a pretty violent fermentation for the first 3-5 days or so and now it still bubbling away about every 20 seconds. I'm starting to get worried about leaving on the dead yeast for too long. What do you guys think?

Additional information:

Typical Hefe AG, heres a link to the recipe on BYO
http://***********/recipe/33.html

I did use the Wyeast 3068.

Also I had some problems with efficiency, and not nearly as bad as I had thought because I didn't adjust for temp on the hydrometer readings. So I ended up adding about 2 lbs of light DME. In the end my OG was 1.066, way off the target.

i personally would give it another week then bottle it. yer not close to having to worry about dead yeasties imo.

I say if your s.g. is 1.018 or under, go ahead and put it in secondary if it's a convenient time to do it. But, you could leave it in primary, too, without any harm at all.

How's that for being helpful? :D

Seriously, no reason to worry about autolysis yet. I do secondary all my beers, so I move them around 1.018 or less, or about day 10 if I don't take s.g. readings. If you're still getting 3 bubbles a minute, you can decide what you want to do with it.

Latest posts

Back