Help!! I think my fermentor is about to blow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crecentroll

Reaction score
I have a three piece bubbler in the grommeted lid. I just brewed a 90 minute clone, but I don't have a blow off tube.

It's bubbling pretty fast and heavy in under 24 hrs. What can I do to make sure it doesn't explode? Am I in danger of this happening?

If you start seeing krausen in the airlock, then yes, you could be in trouble as the airlock could clog causing a blowoff.

Go to a hardware store and buy a tube to make a blowoff tube. Do you have a bottling setup with a hose? That will work too. but you're going to really need a tube of some sort, either stuck into the hole in the bucket or attached to the center post of the 3 piece airlock....If you don't want a mess, then you really need a hose.

I assume you already have a siphon. Cut it in half and push it in the hole of the rubber stopper and lead the other end to a bowl or bottle of water.

Let it blow,, we want to see you mop beer off the ceiling..

Only kidding.. Get a blow off tube rigged up soon.

I always start my brews with one and. when they slow down I put on airlock.

Thanks for the quick responses. I can attach my hose, but does the water need to have sanitized in it that I place the hose into?

Yes, sanitize it in case you accidentally lift the water, and get it flowing back into the brew.

I made a blow containment container to eliminate the chance of sucking stuff back into the fermenter. I had a 1 quart plastic jar with a screw on cap. Kind of looks like a really big peanut butter jar. I drilled 2 holes in the top and put a 3/8th grommet in each hole. One hole has a piece of 3/8th tubing that goes from the fermenter to the jar and the other hole has an airlock in it. Haven't had any blow off yet but the airlock bubbles.

Latest posts

Back