Drying hopping a lager advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
Picked up a Bohemian Pilsner kit that had a dry hopping option with 1 oz of Saaz hops. Currently, the beer is coming out of its diacytel rest and ready to hit the lagering phase. Now I am thinking I will want to rack to a secondary (i.e. get the beer of the yeast) and start bringing the temperature down.

Is there any reason I cannot add the hops now despite plans to lager for a couple weeks. Or should I continue to lager on the yeast and then 7-10days out from finishing rack to a secondary and then dry hop. I have only dry hopped once with an ale and I dry hopped at the racking to a secondary. I seem to have convinced myself that dry hopping is integral to racking to a secondary but that is not the case.

I'd be a bit cautious about adding the hops for the whole lagering period. There are polyphenols in hops that can add a bitter taste, in addition to the aroma. My own experience is that a long dry hop resulted in a much more bitter beer than expected. I'd wait to dry hop until you had one week left in your lagering period - unless you want more bitterness.

If it were my beer, I would add the dry hops and let it ride at 60 or so in the primary for another week, then rack it to the secondary and lager. Assuming your primary fermentation period wasn't ridiculously long, it'll be fine.

This is not an option for you now, but in the future you might dry hop for a week towards the end of primary fermentation and through the diacetyl rest. Some people say that the CO2 will scrub out much of the hop flavor. Even if you find that to be true, it's just a matter of using more hops.

Back