ABV jump in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarter

Reaction score
My first batch ever is currently carbonating in bottles. When I bottled, my calculated ABV was somewhere around 2.9 which is a result of to much water in the beginning (rookie mistake). How much of an increase can I expect from the secondary fermentation? I would like for my first batch to at least be on par with commercial varieties in Mississippi which are regulated at 3.2%.

Thanks everyone, this is a terrific forum!

I'm sorry to say that you probably will not get much of a raise in ABV once your beer is bottled. The priming is mainly there just to carbonate. Hope it tastes good.

The priming sugar will add about 0.2%. Which isn't much in a Left Coast IPA;) , but even in this case, you won't notice the change.

Well, .2 should at least put me over 3% and thats not bad for a first attempt. Thanks for all the imput guys! Its much more fun when you understand whats going on!

Back