Strange findings in my bottles? Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalesSpin

Reaction score
I've brewed a honey ale using cascade and spaaz hops and a pilsner yeast. I've just bottle it...this last Monday I believe.

I just took a glance at the bottles to see how they're clearing up (the bottles are brown mind you) and when held to the light I notice a blackish, very fine silt-like substance clinging to the sides of the bottles in the slightly embossed floral embellishments. If I tilt the bottles the silt substance moves but then mostly returns, but if I twist the bottle like a wrench back and forth, the silt breaks away and slowly settles.

This is only my 2nd beer, and the first being a stout I may just have just not been able to see this before. There is sediment in the bottom of the bottles, as would be expected.

Is this "clingy" silt normal? Could it just be the yeast still ever so slowly settling? Or, is this just a natural clearing up process? Thanks for y'all's expertise!

EDIT: Pictures added in post below*

Eh that's not a terribly difficult photo to get. Give it a shot (PUN!)

I've seen what I believe you are describing. Not exactly sure what it is (yeast? protein? dunno) but beers that I've seen that on turned out fine. Just try a bottle a two or three weeks and look for flavors/smells that would indicate an infection. But also be aware that some infections take a looong time to get going.

He shoots....he PUNS!

Thanks for the reply. I shouldered your encouragement well and took a few pics (most were deleted!). While not a true Tyndall effects as the particles are not quite colloidal, the flashlight does highlight the suspended particles well enough - I hope. First pic = undisturbed; 2nd pic = after spinning a few times.

Cheers!

((P.S. I had to throw the Tyndall thing in there because I realized it might have been the only thing I remembered from organic chemistry those years ago and it made me feel young and smart again; thanks for enduring its mention.))

100_3173.jpg

100_3175.jpg

I have this same thing going on with a raspberry wheat, how did these turn out for you?

Don't know what it is seen it in my bottles and in my secondary carboy around the little indentations. It usually fell out in my bottles during conditioning.

Latest posts

Back