Thoughts on this Mango IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextr

Reaction score
Hi all.... hoping to get some feedback on this 5gal batch partial mash Mango IPA recipe I'm planning on cooking up next weekend.

Wondering if the Columbus at the end of the boil may be too much aroma along with the Citra. This is my 5th batch ever, so still a little green.

1.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 10L (Grain)
9 lbs Pale Extract

1 oz Centennial - 60 min
1 oz Cascade - 20 min
1 oz Amarillo - 10 min
.5 oz Citra - 5 min
2 oz Columbus - 1 min

Safale American US-50 Yeast

2 oz Citra - Dry hop in secondary 7 days
5 lb fresh mango puree in secondary 7 days

Looking forward to your feedback.
Cheers!

Colombus is neutral-ish hop. The bittering from it is clean, the aroma is wonderfully hoppy, and the flavor is well...hop-like! I get a small amount of citrus from it and I have used it extensively for bitter, flavor and aroma. In fact it is one of my favorite hops to brew with. I find that it compliments the flavors/aromas of other finishing hops very well. I don't brew many fruit beers but I'm guessing that the mango is going to mask some of the flavors from the hops. Good luck and keep us posted.

Edit: Looks to me like a killer IPA even without the fruit. Maybe split the batch and do half on the mango and half without just to see how it turns out.

Well... I couldn't get any Citra or Amarillo in time for brew day, so I modified my recipe a bit to use hops that I had on hand. Grains and extract stayed the same.

1.5 oz Magnum 60 min
2 oz Cascade 10 min
2 oz Cascade 1 min

Currently fermenting, and will rack to secondary after 2 wks.
2 oz Cascade dry hop 7 days
5 lbs fresh mango purée 7 days

I've read that 1 lb mango per gallon is a good ratio. But, I don't want the mango to over power... I just want it noticeable, not sweet. Anyone out there recommend less mango?

Bottled this batch on Sunday. FG came in at 1.011, which brings it to 7.5%.

However, I did not get that much mango flavor. There was a slight aroma, but the taste did not seem to come through.

I'm hoping that some flavor may come through after bottle aging for at least 2 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've never brewed a beer with mango, but I did a mead a looong time ago. I believe I used an entire 12-14lb flat of fresh mangoes in the batch. Surprisingly, after fermentation completed, there was not a hint of mango flavor. In hindsight, this was probably because the vigorous primary fermentation blew away all of my aroma, but I think mango may be a fruit like strawberry that is very subtle and fades quickly. If you think about it, the flavor of a ripe mango is primarily acid and sugar. Once those attributes are diluted, you are left with...not much flavorwise. YMMV. :)

A buddy of mine that runs a great micro in the area makes a killer mango ipa. I know he has to use a **** ton of mangos to get the flavor in there.

On a side note, they also make a a chocolate peanut butter imperial stout. They're not into making the classics.

If you're making a mango IPA, why not also use a hop varietal or blend that imparts mango? NZ Rakau, Falconer's Flight... all great choices...

Thanks for all the tips! Next try, I'm gonna change up the hop bill for sure.

It's been two weeks, and I've had a few of these. Definitely need more mango. I think I'll just use the frozen pre-cubed variety... Too much work to get the same thing from fresh mango. Aroma has a hint, but no flavor from the mango. I think maybe leaving it cubed may help. The purée seemed to float up above the brew which could have prevented some flavor from getting in.

Next try I'll use Citra if I can get some, and maybe some whole leaf cascade for dry hopping.

Back