Slow fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idigg

Reaction score
I have a NB nut brown ale kit going right now. Pitched the yeast Sunday at 4pm, about 58 hours ago. I aerated like I normally do, pitched yeast, sealed it up put airlock in. It hasn't bubbled once, I'm starting to get worried. House is at 67-68 degrees.

This is my second batch. My first batch, NB the innkeeper, it started active fermentation within 8 hours for 3 days. The nut brown ale is a totally different beer, so it might be a totally different fermentation that I am just not familiar with.

Should I be doing anything or concerned? :eek:

Thanks

As hard as it is, try to relax. There is a good chance that your fermentation has started, it is just not showing in the airlock. A bubbling airlock isn't the end all be all sign that fermentation started. If you are really concerned, I would take a gravity reading. That is the best way to tell if your fermentation started.

In my experience, every fermentation is different. I had a winter ale 2 years ago that went crazy and I had to clamp the lid to keep it from blowing off. I brewed a holiday ale this year and saw zero activity in the airlock, but was my best fermentation to date.

Your temp sounds good, so just take a gravity reading and then let us know and someone will advise from there.

Also check this out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Thanks, I must be impatient. I used a liquid wyeast yeast on my first batch, and it took off within 10 hours, so this just seems odd to me but it's a totally different yeast. I'm such a rookie LOL

I'm no pro either but I have had this happen once to me. I had a small crack in the lid of my bucket. My yeast was going but I had no idea and also no idea the crack was there so i gave her a little shake moment or seconds later foam was shooting out the airlock.....and the crack thats how i found it:D.

Back