Bottle Conditioning and Temperature Fluctuations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichthy

Reaction score
I have a question regarding temperature fluctuations and bottle conditioning. We heat our house with a wood stove and the temperatures can fluctuate quite a bit. It is not uncommon to for the house to fluctuate 10 degrees during the day as the fire dies out and we add more wood.

So, I need to carb my beer but am worried about putting it in the living room with the stove because of the temperature fluctuations. I could place the beer in a back room that is usually around 60 degrees and doesn't fluctuate in temperature as much as the living room.

My question to the esteemed forum is, do I carb the bottles in the living room where the temp is always above 65 but fluctuates widely, or do I put the bottles in the back room where it's much cooler?

FYI, I have an ale brewed with Nottingham yeast and soon to be done Kolsch with Kolsch yeast. Both of those yeast strains can ferment at 60 with no problem.

Go for the higher temperatures. If your living room is the hottest room, go ahead and condition them in there until they're carbed up. After they are fully carbed, you will then want to store them somewhere cooler, possibly in a basement. If you try and carb in the back room where it hovers near 60F, they'll probably still carb up, but it's going to take much longer to do so.

I agree, I'd go livingroom, and with luck it would be in the usual 3 week for 1.060 and below.

But it doesn't really matter. If you acknowledge simply that in the back room it may take longer, then leave it back there. It will carb eventually.

I'm fine for carbing in the warmest room, my only concern is the temp fluctuations.

I have a basement that's 53F right now and will store my bottles there once they are carbed.

Latest posts

Back