Organic Barley Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discokid2k

Reaction score
Hi All- Happy Early Turkey Day! I have a question:

So I usually brew AG but this time I am making a brew with whatever I have lying around (the season of giving so I am not buying myself any beer supplies at the moment). Here is what I have around the house:

2.2 lbs of Briess Extra light DME
1lb, 4 oz of Organic Barley malt LME
(its a small batch, btw)
assorted hops, and a sizable yeast collection so I can go whatever route I want.

What do you guys think of using the barley malt? Linked here:

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=26_50&products_id=104050

I used this once previously with no ill side effects but I am curious what others think. It is definately the real stuff but what are the thoughts out there?

There is an IPA recipe here that uses it and the brewer said it worked really well. With what you have you could do a 3 gallon honey brown ale:

30 minute boil; 4 gallon pot; Extract
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
IBU: 24
SRM: 17
ABV: 5.2%

2.2lbs Light DME
1.25lbs Barley LME
4 oz Honey
(Steep with some specialty grains of you have any extra)

.5oz Cluster @ 30 min
.5oz Cluster @ 5 min

Safale US-05 yeast or similar.

I actually brewed last night but that is an idea for my next trial. I steeped with 4oz Vienna and 8oz of biscuit for 30min. I did three hop additions of Mt. Hood, .5oz @ 30 min, .25oz @ 15 min, and .25oz @5 min an added 3/4 cup of orange marmalade at flameout. I plan on adding 2 or 3oz of fresh orange zest during secondary too.

I usually don't care for the amber beers but the ingredients I have currently all pointed that direction and this was just for fun. I used wlp500 as the yeast so it should finish nicely. I have never done a honey brew, doesn't the honey ferment out? Would I need any in secondary? I was kind of impressed with how easy an extract brew is. It has been a looooong time that I have gone extract. No mash made for an easy brew day!

There is an IPA recipe here that uses it and the brewer said it worked really well. With what you have you could do a 3 gallon honey brown ale:

30 minute boil; 4 gallon pot; Extract
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
IBU: 24
SRM: 17
ABV: 5.2%

2.2lbs Light DME
1.25lbs Barley LME
4 oz Honey
(Steep with some specialty grains of you have any extra)

.5oz Cluster @ 30 min
.5oz Cluster @ 5 min

Safale US-05 yeast or similar.

Just a follow up but I let the beer sit in the primary for close to three weeks and then again in secondary for another few weeks. I added 3 full squeezed oranges, some cracked corriander, and two lemons to the secondary. Came out great! The barley malt+vienna+biscuit gave great flavors but the yeast was a little too strong on the banana side. I had to travel for work so it fermented on the high side of the wlp500 range. I may try this one again soon but cut the barley malt in half, and switch up the yeast.

The mt. hood hops at first, I was not a fan of. I usually care for more out of my hops but after these flavors sat for awhile in the bottle, the orange/lemony citrus hit well with the malt and low hop character. Still a little too banana-ish:ban: but overall great. Another Homebrew experiment success story:rockin:prosit!

Back