Professional use & temp control of WB-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghpeel

Reaction score
I was in "1 Guy Brewing" (a small craft brewer in Pennsylvania) yesterday and they had a really nice Hefe and a Peach Hefe on draft. I haven't had great luck with hefe's at home, so I asked the brewer if he was using a White Labs or Wyeast strain and to my surprise, he answered that he uses WB-06 for those beers.

The normal hefe and the fruit hefe both had a great balance of hefe flavors, not to bubblegummy or spicy or banana-bready. At home, my hefe's with WB06 have all had too much clove spice flavor, so I told the guy that and he replied that wb06 was really a great yeast but that temp control was REALLY important. He did his at 68-70F, no more and no less. I didn't think to ask him if he was over or under pitching compared to normal ranges, but that might have something to do with it too.

So I'm curious if others here have had better luck with WB-06 at those temps.

I found that it makes a better beer ( for me ) pitching at 60-62, fermenting at 64-65 and when it starts to slow let it ride to 68.

Latest posts

Back