Anyone from Long Island on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHead33

Reaction score
Hey I'm wondering if there is anybody from Long Island NY monitoring this thread. I'm looking for a water report or some advice on how much gypsum to add to my HLT. I have been having trouble with low body, low head retention beers and wondering if the chemistry is the cause. Thanks

If you live in Suffolk county and use municipal water, you can get a water report from http://www.scwa.com/
Select Public Information, and water quality reports.
If you live in Nassau, I'm sure the supplier provides similar data.

-a.

I'm in Suffolk county. The link the other poster put up is your best way to best to find out what's in your water. Most Long Island water is from the aquifer and is usually pretty good for brewing.

Thanks for the help guys. I brew in Islip. Do you guys alter your water chemistry at all? I use a carbon filter to filter out the chlorine and use gypsum added to the HL, but I am not sure I am adding enough.

I reviewed the water quality report. It seems my water is low in 3 key elements for brewing purposes. Calcium, sulfate and magnesium. I'm assuming I can use gypsum to boost the calcium and sulfate levels, but not sure how to raise the magnesium levels.

If you really want to add magnesium, you can use Epsom Salts. I don't because according to George Fix and several others, malt already contains sufficient magnesium for brewing purposes.
When brewing pale ales (which I do 90% of the time) I add some gypsum for the Ca and SO4, and a touch of CaCl2 to boost the chloride. If I'm brewing a lager, I use enough CaCl2 to get the Ca up to 50 ppm, and forget the gypsum.

-a.

Thanks, I think I'll try that. I am going to add a little table salt to boost the chloride too. I am brewing an American IPA next and I read these elements are important for hop bitterness

Latest posts

Back