Building up a starter: Can I spilt 1 smackpack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok here's the goal:
Get a 4l starter for my 11G batch
(BSmith suggests I use a 4l starter for this lager)

Problem:
I have 2 2l flasks but only one Smackpack

My thought:
Take the single Smackpack, split it between the two flasks and build them up next to each other (I have 2 stirplates) instead of build up one...and then start building up the other.

My main concern...is there enough in 1/2 a Smack to build up one? (Granted I'd start it around 1l and work from there instead of trying to build up the whole 2l in one shot)

You got more than enough yeast in a smack pack to split it and make starters. Hell you can add a tablespoon of yeast and build on that. With a stir plate u can produce a lot of yeast very fast.

You are going to step that thing up like a sonuvagun. 4L of saturated starter is OUTRAGEOUSLY underpitched for a lager of any size. Check out mrmalty.com for the yeast pitching rate calculator. IF you have perfectly viable yeast (produced this week- you don't) AND you're starting with two smack packs (you're not) AND your beer is only 1.040 (is it?) you STILL would need 11L of starter, that's almost 3 gallons, for your 11 gallon batch. You definitely can split up your smack pack, but you are going to have to step it up a BUNCH to get enough yeast to use.

I use a two gallon bucket and lid from Lowes for my third step on big starters. I have done 6.6L starters in these buckets on my DIY stirplate without a problem. All of Encore's white buckets are food grade, according to their FAQ.

According to YeastCalc, a two step starter (Two side by side 2L's for step one and one 6.6L in one of these buckets for step two) would fill your needs on a 1.070 beer, if the yeast is fairly fresh. You would need a third starter step for older yeast.

Good Luck.

You are going to step that thing up like a sonuvagun. 4L of saturated starter is OUTRAGEOUSLY underpitched for a lager of any size. Check out mrmalty.com for the yeast pitching rate calculator. IF you have perfectly viable yeast (produced this week- you don't) AND you're starting with two smack packs (you're not) AND your beer is only 1.040 (is it?) you STILL would need 11L of starter, that's almost 3 gallons, for your 11 gallon batch. You definitely can split up your smack pack, but you are going to have to step it up a BUNCH to get enough yeast to use.

That just doesn't sound right. I put this into Beersmith and it came out to about 4l, just like he says. You're suggesting 1.5 gallons of starter for a 5 gallon batch??? That's outrageous.

CGish said:
I use a two gallon bucket and lid from Lowes for my third step on big starters. I have done 6.6L starters in these buckets on my DIY stirplate without a problem. All of Encore's white buckets are food grade, according to their FAQ.

According to YeastCalc, a two step starter (Two side by side 2.2L's for step one and one 6.6L in one of these buckets for step two) would fill your needs on a 1.070 beer, if the yeast is fairly fresh. You would need a third starter step for older yeast.

Good Luck.

Hey what size stir bar do you use in those buckets? Oh and I didn't realize that the OP was doing a 10 gallon batch.

That just doesn't sound right. I put this into Beersmith and it came out to about 4l, just like he says. You're suggesting 1.5 gallons of starter for a 5 gallon batch??? That's outrageous.

Not that outrageous since 4l is just over 1 gallon and with lagers pitching on the higher side is avisable. Just cold crash and decant off most of the liquid from the starter.

CGish said:
The 1" bar I use in my flasks. I know I should have a longer one for the bucket, but I get a nice whirlpool with the small bar.

Cool am going to have to give that a try!! Thanks for the idea.

Cool am going to have to give that a try!! Thanks for the idea.

Here is a picture of my DIY stir plate, created out of used computer parts. I use the 1.5" blocks for stability with the bucket. The bucket sags a little at the bottom middle when it is full, so I have to put 1/8" shims under the 1.5" blocks so it is high enough not to crush the screen down into the fan - redneck, but it works!

DIYStirPlate.jpg

that's great

I never even considered a bucket for a starter stepper...BRILLIANT

I also noticed someone said decant off the liquid...

I was under the impression when one said "1l starter" that was yeast after the decanting...no?

I normally do a 2l starter, decant, rebuild, decant etc until the cake is about half high....I wonder if I'm building over dead yeasties at the bottom
could answer a few questions...

I was under the impression when one said "1l starter" that was yeast after the decanting...no?

I normally do a 2l starter, decant, rebuild, decant etc until the cake is about half high....I wonder if I'm building over dead yeasties at the bottom

Jay,

My understanding is that 2L refers to the total volume of liquid in the starter. When I need a new yeast line for my library, I buy a tube or smack pack. I open the package and do 2-4 slants out of the fresh package, then pour it into a 1.6L starter and put it on my stirplate. When it finishes (12-24 hrs), I cold crash overnight and decant off the liquid. I warm the yeast to room temperature, and pitch it into another 1.6L starter and repeat the process (cold crash, decant). I then pitch the resulting yeast into a 6.6L starter in my 2 gallon bucket and let it finish out (12-24 hrs). This process creates approximately 1200 billion cells that I split into 6-8 sterilized baby food jars and freeze. This gives me 150-200 billion cells per jar, and according to the yeast farm sticky here on HBT, there is approximately 25% viability after the freeze. I base my new starters on this 25% number and have not had a problem with viability so far.

I don't think you need a full liter of actual yeast - that seems a bit high to me! :)

Cody

that's great

I never even considered a bucket for a starter stepper...BRILLIANT

A full liter of yeast slurry would be way over pitching for 5 gallon batches. The liter size refers to the total volume of your starter wort and added yeast. You can pitch the liquid in, but if you've ever tasted the liquid after making a starter it's not the best tasting stuff. If you put it in the fridge overnight most of the yeast will drop out of suspension so when you decant you're just pouring off the fermented wort with minimal yeast still in suspension.

Yeah I decant...just always thought the slurry was the size :p

Probably why I've always stared at the mrmalty & beersmith calc saying "4l" thinking they were off...

I mean 4l of slurry is a lot of work :)

On one of my standard batches I usually end up with between .75 and 1l of slurry (I do 11g batches)

I'm just glad I've now found out I can cut my yeast purchases in half...that's a HUGE savings to my brew bill! :cheers:

You could start the pack in 1 flask, when that is done split the resulting yeast into both flasks and add fresh wort, then decant and add to a 2 gallons bucket. I find it hard to split a yeast pack, but once a starter is made splitting is easier.

Latest posts

Back