Aging Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I want to brew a pumpkin ale and let it age from now until early October. Seeing as this will be a fairly long aging period (relative to what I normally do), I would like some advice on what the best course of aging would be. Would it be best to age it in the secondary vessel for most of the time between now and October, or in the bottles?

Thanks for the help!

Unless this is going to be a high gravity (higher alcohol) beer, I'd age in bottles. The beer will develop well in the bottles, and will be nicely carbonated when you are ready to drink it.

Totally stole my idea Captain,. I am working in NY right now and was enjoying some Post Road Pumpkin Ale from the Brooklyn Brewery and thought how Id like to do the same. I wanna use fresh pumpkin though.. kinda hard to find right now.

I'd wait for fresh pumpkin, or opt for using just the spices of pumpkin pie. The canned stuff tastes like it looks.

Back