Adding too much gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colrain

Reaction score
I decided to use some gelatin to clear one of my lower gravity (<1.050) beers by transferring the beer to a secondary after 3 weeks in the primary, adding the dissolved gelatin on top and popping it in the fridge for the next 3-4 days to clear before kegging.

After all this I sat down and wondered did I use too much? I used a whole Knox packet and then panicked and started searching for how much to use. I found anywhere between 1, 2 tsp all the way up to 2 packets.

My question is, should I be ok? Or will I end up with 5 gal of Tankhouse Ale Jello ( sounds interesting but I'd rather keep it as beer right now hah )

Thanks!

I don't think using too much could hurt. It would just be a waste. Worst case you have a huge glob of goo on the bottom (which you are careful not to rack into your bottling bucket:)) and you wasted $0.25 worth of gelatin. No worries.

You're fine. I typically use a packet when I need the gel trick, too. Worst case, beer jello. Shooters anyone?

I tried the gelatin trick once and will not do it again. I know I did it wrong and that it works if done right I just do not really care how clear my beer is. And if I did care I would just leave it in the fridge for awhile.

I would much rather have hazy beer over chunky beer anyday

Varmintman said:
I tried the gelatin trick once and will not do it again. I know I did it wrong and that it works if done right I just do not really care how clear my beer is. And if I did care I would just leave it in the fridge for awhile.

I would much rather have hazy beer over chunky beer anyday

Hahaha.

Sorry. How did you do it wrong? I've used gelatin with no issue, but maybe I have been toeing the chunky beer line.

Hahaha.

Sorry. How did you do it wrong? I've used gelatin with no issue, but maybe I have been toeing the chunky beer line.

I boiled it before I dumped it in the beer. Was liquid while it was still hot but the instant it hit the beer it went all chunky. Did it in the secondary and it would plug up my racking cane so I put a BIAB bag over the end of the cane and it plugged that up. I ended up pouring it into my bottling bucket through a couple of BIAB bags oxidizing it.

Still drank it though:)

If you do it right and dont heat it up to where is gelatinizes there is no chunks. Its really not that difficult.

If you do it right and dont heat it up to where is gelatinizes there is no chunks. Its really not that difficult.

Oh I know and I know I did it wrong. I just decided though at that time that I would not really care so much if my beer was cloudy.

Back